Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam checking

Hybrid View

Default Spam checking

This is not clear to me from the documentation.. When I click "junk" is SpamAssassin learning what is and is not spam?

Right now I'm seeing a lot of spam get through to my mail box and I'm wondering what I can do to maybe fine tune the spam filter, and perhaps maybe add DNS RBLs into postfix..

- Mike

Right now the Junk button just moves the message to the Junk folder. Our plan is to add learning in SA but it's not completed yet. See this thread for some more detail on our plans.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...highlight=spam

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Right now the Junk button just moves the message to the Junk folder. Our plan is to add learning in SA but it's not completed yet. See this thread for some more detail on our plans.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...highlight=spam
    Is there a way on the command line that I can feed SA a bunch of spam for it to learn?

Default /opt/zimbra/bin/zmtrainsa

Usage: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmtrainsa <server> <user> <pass> <spam|ham> [folder]

Basic function is to grab everything from <folder> and train SA to see it as spam|ham.

If folder is not specified, it assumes you mean the inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    Usage: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmtrainsa <server> <user> <pass> <spam|ham> [folder]

Basic function is to grab everything from <folder> and train SA to see it as spam|ham.

If folder is not specified, it assumes you mean the inbox.
    Hi, I have been using the command line to feed SA all the junk mail that was in my Junk folder and have been doing this now for a while. But I can not see any noticable improvement in the Junk mail collection on the server side. Any ideas ? The numbers I get at the end of each time the command line runs are not so consistent either i.e. the line
    synced Bayes databases from journal in 3 seconds: 1739 unique entries (1841 total entries)
    at the end of the process has very different numbers every time. I would have expected the total number to just keep going up !

I have not used SPAMASSASSIN before so perhaps some of this is a little newbie. Any help is most appreciated.

- Roger

Default sa training

The numbers don't just go up, since SA stores a hash of every message that it learns from - so if you train on your junk folder, and it doesn't contain any new (to SA) messages, then the db count won't increase.

You'll see in the output "learned from 1 message" or "0 messages" as fetchmail feeds the mail through - if 0, then SA has seen the message before.

The numbers don't just go up, since SA stores a hash of every message that it learns from - so if you train on your junk folder, and it doesn't contain any new (to SA) messages, then the db count won't increase.

You'll see in the output "learned from 1 message" or "0 messages" as fetchmail feeds the mail through - if 0, then SA has seen the message before.
    Thanks for the reply Marc. I did notice that but it seems that although its being trained its not killing or tagging the Junk messages. Could this be because the percentages of 30:75 are too high and should be lowered ? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

- Roger

Default spamassassin voodoo

When all is said and done, this boils down to what works for you.

To catch more, lower the values - though I suggest that you only modify the TAG value, and not the KILL value - since false positives on the KILL value is mail that you'll never get back.

Also - go slow! Change it a bit, watch the spam (or, even better, grab a known spam base, and feed it through, and get the count of what it catches.) Then change it some more.

The hardest part of this process is that you'll have to go through your spam folder watching carefully for false positives.

When all is said and done, this boils down to what works for you.

To catch more, lower the values - though I suggest that you only modify the TAG value, and not the KILL value - since false positives on the KILL value is mail that you'll never get back.

Also - go slow! Change it a bit, watch the spam (or, even better, grab a known spam base, and feed it through, and get the count of what it catches.) Then change it some more.

The hardest part of this process is that you'll have to go through your spam folder watching carefully for false positives.
    Thanks Marc, I will have a go. I get about 1000 SPAM mails a day ! The Junk mail filter in Thunderbird gets about 90% of these on a regular basis. What I have noticed is that at the moment VERY few are caught eventhough I am training the SA. What happens is that the mail in the inbox that is SPAM becomes READ but does not seem to move any where ! Not sure why this would happen. I will change tha value of the TAG and see how things change. But fundamentally it seems that the Junk mail filter algorithm in Thunderbird is doing a very good job compared to SA.

thanks
    - Roger

After teaching SA will it now run this way for all users? I'm assuming yes.