According to the docs, the recover deleted items feature keeps an item in storage 30 days after it's been removed from trash. Is that a correct understanding?

So we have a rule that says items are automatically removed from trash after 30 days. Does that mean if I delete an item from trash at the 29 day mark. It will be available for another 30 days through the "Recover Deleted Items" feature?

This will affect storage to some extent with some trash possibly being in there up to 60 days. Does it continue to affect a persons quota when it's in this deleted (but not quite) stage?

Stage 1: I delete a message and it goes to trash (still affects quota)
Stage 2: I delete a message in my trash folder, and it goes into the "recoverable" state, but it's not in my trash folder anymore. (this affects quota?)
Stage 3: Gone forever....

What about things that expire through the automatic method (after 30 days here). Are those recoverable for another 30 days? Or does this feature just affect items that I manually remove from trash myself?

Lots of questions, just want to make sure I have a good understanding of this new feature.

Thanks,
Matt