Thread: Admin password choice

Default Admin password choice

Just installed Zimbra and found that the zimbra does not like the character "(" in the password string. Has anyone seen this problem?

Following is the install log:

COMMAND: zmprov ca admin@mailbox.iron-const.com ******)* zimbraIsAdminAccount TRUE
    -bash: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
    -bash: -c: line 0: `zmprov ca admin@mailbox.iron-const.com ******)* zimbraIsAdminAccount TRUE'
    COMMAND: zmprov aaa admin@mailbox.iron-const.com postmaster@mailbox.iron-const.com
    ERROR: account.NO_SUCH_ACCOUNT (no such account: admin@mailbox.iron-const.com)
    COMMAND: zmprov ms mailbox.iron-const.com zimbraSmtpHostname mailbox.iron-const.com

Note I have replaced much of the password with * except for the "(" character. The password is 8 characters long.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Quote Originally Posted by cliodaddy
    Just installed Zimbra and found that the zimbra does not like the character "(" in the password string. Has anyone seen this problem?

Note I have replaced much of the password with * except for the "(" character. The password is 8 characters long.
    Yeah, it looks like the installer doesn't like that so much...

You can set the admin password to contain a ')' after the installation is complete.

It looks like the admin account didn't get added. Probably the simplest way to move forward would just reinstall (or add the admin account manually if you want, but reinstalling would ensure this is done correctly :-)

During the installation, pick a simple password... perhaps "123456" (what an idiot would use on his luggage).

When the installation is complete, go ahead and change it. You can log into your Linux box as root, then type "su - zimbra". at that point, type the following command:

zmprov SetPassword admin@mailbox.iron-const.com '1234567)'

Substituting the password you want for what I put in above... but the key here is that you have to put the password within "ticks" (apostrophes). The ticks do not become part of the password, they simply prevent bash from trying to do anything funky with your password.

That should work for you.

Have a good one,
    -Eric

Bug 4318 filed

I ended up re-installing and using a different password. It worked fine this time around.

Thanks for showing me the command to modify admin password though, it will come in handy. Quick question, does this command also create the admin account if the install process did not?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cliodaddy
    I ended up re-installing and using a different password. It worked fine this time around.

Thanks for showing me the command to modify admin password though, it will come in handy. Quick question, does this command also create the admin account if the install process did not?

Thanks!
    You can use zmprov ca to create the account. The set password command only works if the account already is created.