Thread: Migration to NE just for few users

Hybrid View

Default Migration to NE just for few users

Hi,

I am interested to migrate only a few users to the version of Zimbra NE, keeping my old server for other users.
    I think that I must use the option of split-domain ( tell me if i am right, please) and use Zimbra as the primary, while for secondary server, my old one.

Now I've seen that with the trial NE version, i can migrate 50 users right? but if I have to keep my old mail server as I can create users that reside on the old saw that the guide says to create all users even on Zimbra?

My old server has 300 users, would I buy the licenses for the other 250 that do not migrate?

Thanks for the clarification
    Good weekend

Hello newtozim,

the split-domain setup is the way to go..
    I think you'll need to buy NE licenses for all the accounts if the Zimbra server is the main MTA. Can you please be more specific about your old server? Does it run on Zimbra OSE or on a completely different software? So we can understand if your old server can be used as main MTA..

Regards,
    Cine
    Cine - Community Manager - ZeXtras
    www.zextras.com

Hi Cine!
    Thank you for interesting, the old server is a Pop3 server i'll let you know more info when i'm back at work.
    In case should i buy the license, for sure i'm gonna use, as primary, the old server , in that case i can buy just the license for the accounts that i want right?
    I thought, the users that i'm not transfering, was just an alias on the zimbra server...

If i install the OSE version, as primary how can i set in zimbra to
    reject on RCPT TO: those accounts that do not exist in either system?

Thanks for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by newtozim View Post
    Hi Cine!
    Thank you for interesting, the old server is a Pop3 server i'll let you know more info when i'm back at work.
    In case should i buy the license, for sure i'm gonna use, as primary, the old server , in that case i can buy just the license for the accounts that i want right?
    I thought, the users that i'm not transfering, was just an alias on the zimbra server...

If i install the OSE version, as primary how can i set in zimbra to
    reject on RCPT TO: those accounts that do not exist in either system?

Thanks for your support!
    Hello again

If you use the old server as primary than the only NE licenses you need will be those for the users actually on the secondary server (while the old server will have records for ALL users).

As for your second question, I don't understand if you mean to install an OSE system as the primary instead of your old server and a NE as secondary or if you mean an OSE primary with your old server as secondary..

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    www.zextras.com

Great, may be we can use the old as primary with a Zimbra NE.
    While the second question is about using a Zimbra OSE as primary and the old server as secondary.

Thanks Cine

Quote Originally Posted by newtozim View Post
    Great, may be we can use the old as primary with a Zimbra NE.
    While the second question is about using a Zimbra OSE as primary and the old server as secondary.

Thanks Cine
    IIRC if you use a Zimbra OSE as primary, you must manually set the zimbraMailTransport of each account residing on the secondary server, so an RCPT TO to a nonexistant account will be managed as usual.
    However, I am kinda rusty on split domain configs - you should carefully read the Split Domain page on the zimbra wiki to be sure of the configs needed

Regards,
    Cine
    www.zextras.com

Another question Cine,

is it possible to use the zimbra mta and proxy even if i set zimbra NE as secondary?Or i can use then only in case, zimbra NE is a primary controller?

Thanks for support and have a nice day