Thread: Upgrade/Reinstall ZCS7.1.1

Hybrid View

Default Upgrade/Reinstall ZCS7.1.1

G'day all,

I'm using ZCS 7.1.1 Network Edition. I've got 3 accounts I care about, 2 use blackberry and 1 uses iphone. About 9G of mail and a mildly custom mail routing configuration.

My system is running in an Ubuntu 10.04LTS 64 bit virtual machine, and the original Zimbra install was onto a clean base system.

I started with ZCS 7.1. When 7.1.1 was release I "upgraded" to it following the upgrade instructions. Something went horribly wrong with the database portion of the upgrade and left me with a b0rked system. I manually kludged my way through most of the upgrade script, skipping the mysql portion and got the system running. It has been ticking along nicely (in the don't fix it if it aint broke sense) for a couple of months now.

Now 7.1.2 is out I'm considering upgrading. The issue is I *know* I can't just upgrade as it'll break even further.

I thought I could perform a full backup, install a clean VM, install 7.1.1 and restore the backup.

Will this get me to a clean and functional 7.1.1 that I can then run the 7.1.2 upgrade on?

I'm assuming restoring a 7.1.1 backup onto a clean 7.1.2 install would be a dumb thing to do.

The other thing is I now have 2 activations on my license (the original install and the 7.1.1 upgrade). Is there a grace period for license activations if you've run out to allow you to arrange more?

I know this is a bit late of a reply and I don't know enough about Zimbra yet to help correct your present situation but I have to ask...if you are running in a virtual environment, why didn't you create a snapshot of your installation before you upgraded and then restored after you found out the upgrade did not go as planned? That is part of the beauty of VMs, you can have no fear over trying out an update, OS fix, upgrade, etc. because you can revert back to the original state even if you completely hose up the system.

If I just came onboard your company and inherited this problem, the 1st thing I'd do is setup a fresh 7.1.2 system and figure out how to transfer / export the data from the current system into the new one.

LHammonds