Thread: Briefcase Enhancement Request

Default Briefcase Enhancement Request

Please consider voting for:
    Bug 63763 – RFE: Allow Multiple Users To Edit Shared Briefcase Document Simultaneously - Like Google Docs

RFE contents:
    Code:
    Background: We are Zimbra Hosting Provider

Google Docs allows simultaneous editing of a shared Document by several users. 
    This is a terrific feature when, say, a group of individuals all working from
    home need to collaborate on a Zimbra Briefcase Document at the same time. 

For example, one user can be inserting photos, another user can be editing web
    links and a third user can be correcting typos and fixing formatting -- all at
    the same time.

In Zimbra, multiple users can indeed open up the same Briefcase document for
    editing, but based on our testing, only the first user who saves a change can
    make any further edits.

Please consider adding this functionality to make Zimbra Briefcase documents
    more collaborative with geographically dispersed work forces.

One other related item if I may...
    The Google Docs interface includes a sidebar chat window, so all of the users
    editing the document simultaneously can chat on their progress, requests, etc.

I know that Zimbra is removing the IM component in the next major release.  As
    I have commented in the Bugzilla on that subject, I think this is a mistake.

We now have two hosted clients who have staff who have used Google Docs, are
    disappointed that this feature is not in Zimbra and are considering migrating
    their companies to Google Docs instead.

Thanks for considering this,
    Mark
    Thanks!
    Mark

I agree - collaboration on documents is an important feature

I agree even more with the statement about IM - removing this feature is a step back.

Quote Originally Posted by dik23 View Post
    I agree - collaboration on documents is an important feature

I agree even more with the statement about IM - removing this feature is a step back.
    Thanks for your support, but what really matters is Votes!

May I encourage you please to log in to Bugzilla and vote for the bug?

Thanks!
    Mark

Already have done

With the onset of "cloud based" services I think Zimbra's going to have to concentrate on these collaborative features in order to stay in the game.

I've been running Zimbra since the start of this year and my users always talks about Google Apps and Microsoft's online efforts.

I am running the 60 day trail of NE version 6 at the moment and the webDAV / document collaboration's quite poorly done. I think we're going to move up to 7, in which this is meant to be improved, in the very near future but the users are already decided on Dropbox for docs because Zimbra wasn't up to the task

I'd like to get them on to Zimbra.

I am evaluating zimbra primarily for an enhanced file sharing system across the team ... troubled by the comment that Dropbox is better than Zimbra for doc sharing management. We didn't think Dropbox had enough features for us.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson_energy View Post
    I am evaluating zimbra primarily for an enhanced file sharing system across the team ... troubled by the comment that Dropbox is better than Zimbra for doc sharing management. We didn't think Dropbox had enough features for us.
    Watch out for VMware Octopus project... Said to be coming first half of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson_energy View Post
    At the time of posting I was running Zimbra 6, we've just moved to Zimbra 7 and I hope things will be improved.

My users needed specific functionality that 6 didn't provide. They kept overwriting each others document alterations when they were both on and off line. This is specifically for centrally shared read/write permissions not central read only or personal folders which they still use Zimbra for.

Dropbox wasn't my decision but unless something good comes along it's going to be hard to get them back.