Thread: Migration Zimbra -> Exchange

Hybrid View

Question Migration Zimbra -> Exchange

Hi everyone!

Recently I've seen what vmware have done with zimbra and I'm concerned about its decision taking.

Due this reason I'm considering don't renew my license and instead move toward microsoft's exchange, so here is my question: does someone migrated from zne to exchange successfully?, what do you experienced?

Thanks for your help....!

Poko.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

As this isn't a question about Virtualization I'll move this to the correct forum.

Quote Originally Posted by esantos View Post
    Recently I've seen what vmware have done with zimbra and I'm concerned about its decision taking.
    What exactly is it that concerns you?

Due this reason I'm considering don't renew my license and instead move toward microsoft's exchange, so here is my question: does someone migrated from zne to exchange successfully?, what do you experienced?
    There are, IIRC, a couple of threads on that topic if you'd care to search for them otherwise I guess someone with that experience may answer your question.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Ohh it's hard to say but, through the years I loved zimbra because I thought it is a brilliant and promising solution, now I don't know what to expect for.

IM removal is a quit clear example how vmware make its decisions (it makes me remember Apple, don't know why...), in comparison with microsoft's lync that is going just at the opposite way with a private collaboration software that fits with an enterprise environment...say, the social plugin zimbra has promoted as the next level of IM does not work for us, so what about the privacy???

Of course, it's my personal opinion, and I'm not for sure to move forward right now, but depending on the upcoming versions my decision could change.

BTW: Sorry, I didn't realized where I released my post...

Ohh it's hard to say but, through the years I loved zimbra because I thought it is a brilliant and promising solution, now I don't know what to expect for.

IM removal is a quit clear example how vmware make its decisions (it makes me remember Apple, don't know why...),
    That is only the removal of the IM server (it is somewhat buggy and not a good solution), there will be provision for connection to various IM servers via the web UI. If I were you I'd wait until ZCS 8 is announced/released before you make any decisions, I think you will find it an impressive and worthy upgrade.

... in comparison with microsoft's lync that is going just at the opposite way with a private collaboration software that fits with an enterprise environment...say, the social plugin zimbra has promoted as the next level of IM does not work for us, so what about the privacy???
    I don't use any of the 'Social' features myself so I can't offer any help with tose but if there's a problem with any of those features then do file an RFE or bug report. Zimbra is always willing to listen to the views of users.

Of course, it's my personal opinion, and I'm not for sure to move forward right now, but depending on the upcoming versions my decision could change.
    Of course these are always personal decision but you do have that choice. Keep an eye on the Product Portal for the upcoming ZCS 8 release (sorry I can't give you any idea when it will be released) and see if that meets your needs.

BTW: Sorry, I didn't realized where I released my post...
    That's OK, it's not a problem.
    Regards

Bill

Phoenix, you always make me feel like there are options for anything...and I hope so.

anyway any other comment about migration Zimbra -> Exchange is super wellcome!!!

Phoenix, you always make me feel like there are options for anything...and I hope so.
    While waiting for the Product Portal to get updated, the current (visible) bug reports are these for ZCS 8 - there will be some bugs/RFEs marked as private for various reasons but you may see something in there that interests you

anyway any other comment about migration Zimbra -> Exchange is super wellcome!!!
    Not having done this I can really only suggest using IMAPSYNC to migrate the email and an export of contacts/calendar information then import it into Exchange. As I mentioned above, perhaps someone with experience of doing this may ad their comments.
    Regards

Bill

This does not surprise me! However, being a Microsoft partner, I know how "great" Exchange 2010 is.

Do you know whats involved with running an Exchange Server, Lync, and all the other communication servers? Unless you are getting hosted exchange like Office365, its not the same simple setup as Zimbra.

I'm only guessing you want to migrate to Exchange 2010. How many users? What size mailboxes?