Thread: some emails don't arrive

Hybrid View

Default some emails don't arrive

Hi everybody,

I'd like to know, how monitoring why some emails don't arrive to my Zimbra server. I have a backup account in google apps and recieve some emails every day instead Zimbra server. So how I can track the problem?

Thanks in advance.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jlgbanda View Post
    I'd like to know, how monitoring why some emails don't arrive to my Zimbra server.
    Start by looking in the log files

I have a backup account in google apps and recieve some emails every day instead Zimbra server. So how I can track the problem?
    What do you mean by a '....backup account in google apps '? How do these emails arrive at your Zimbra server? If you don't see any information in the log files about attempted connection then look at your 'backup' email account for the problem.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi thanks for answer,
    In my DNS provider configuration I added a register MX 20, pointing to google apps so if my server down I don't lose the arriving emails. But some emails (not all) go to this backup account instead to my zimbra server, so I don't know if is some problem with DNS checks with those emails or any bad configuration.
    Could you be more explicit in what I need to look for in logs?

Thanks.

In my DNS provider configuration I added a register MX 20, pointing to google apps so if my server down I don't lose the arriving emails. But some emails (not all) go to this backup account instead to my zimbra server, so I don't know if is some problem with DNS checks with those emails or any bad configuration.
    If mail is going to your alternative MX recorcd I would guess that your main server is (or has been) unavailable for a period of time.

Could you be more explicit in what I need to look for in logs?
    As this won't apply to your scenario (google apps isn't a backup MX) there's nothing to look for but for future reference, it would be connection attempts from a backup mail server. If your email is important to you I'd suggest you get a professionally managed backup mail service, you can also get it via certain services such as managed DNS. I use Easy DNS to manage my DNS records and part of their service is to provide a backup mail server (at no extra cost), it collects mail if my server is down and queues it for up-to five days and forwards it to me when my server is back on-line. I have no connection with that company other than as a satisfied customer.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks Bill again, is there anyway to know why thouse email are not arriving to my server? This happend every day and is random. I don't find the problem in logs.

Best regards.

Thanks Bill again, is there anyway to know why thouse email are not arriving to my server? This happend every day and is random. I don't find the problem in logs.
    As I mentioned above, google apps isn't a backup MX and therefore the mail won't be forwarded automatically - unless google apps has that feature?
    Regards

Bill