Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting very hacked off with Zimbra

Default Getting very hacked off with Zimbra

We started off running v5 without errors and upgraded to 6 when that was stable enough.

After using 6 for a couple of years, without issues, upgraded to to 7.1.2 which I am now finding the worst mistake possible..

Zimbra going down god knows how many times a week... 4 times today so far.

After going through the logs and tracing the error to IMAP sessions... Contacted Zimbra to report the issue..

They required a full capture of the system logs which were sent off and diagnosed the same error and stated that I was running into the bug 63100... bug fix on way .... or not

This was first reported in August and since then Zimbra might run for 10 mins or 2 days. Same locking error every time.

I am getting very hacked off with being told "Checking when we can release the fix"

its been fixed in 7.1.1 come on already...and release for 7.1.2...

I am now going to have to spend this week to downgrade the system to 7.1.1...

So has anyone tried this? I will most likely take a two server approach to this and then migrate data from one to another, test and deploy.

Just feeling p***ed off with Zimbra support at the moment...

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    its been fixed in 7.1.1 come on already...and release for 7.1.2...
    If you checked the Product Port you would have seen that it's targeted for ZCS 7.1.3

I am now going to have to spend this week to downgrade the system to 7.1.1...
    Don't even try to do that, you will break the system.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi phoenix

Yep I have seen the 7.1.3 has a whole host of fixes including the main one I am running into... Just some kind of release date instead of being put on hold (so to speak) or provide a patch for the one issue...

it also looks like a patch has been done already... "7.1.1.Patch5 7.1.2.Patch, 7.1.3" and verified

I cannot run a email system when the thing will not stay up and I have no idea of timescale..

What are the main issues for downgrading? database? It was going to more a migration than a downgrade... i.e. bring up another server running 7.1.1 and restore mail + accounts...

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Don't even try to do that, you will break the system.
    If that's the case, then admins in our situation are completely screwed. We've already been chained to the Zimbra server 24/7 for nearly a month now, doing 1-4 reboots a day, and so far the only consolation is hearing that a fix may be coming in November. As far as I'm concerned, any email server that crashes four times a day is a lost cause.

If there's a fix for 7.1.1, then the engineers should know how to do the patch for 7.1.2. I know they want to hold it for the larger 7.1.3 release, but that that's like saying, "Sorry you email server doesn't work because of a flaw in our latest software. We'll fix it in 2-3 months."

Meanwhile, the bug that is keeping us constantly rebooting the server is lised in report Bug 63100 – imap:deadlock when # of session is overflowed the limit and some imap session has to be pushed out of sessonmap as FIXED. No problem. All taken care of. Except if you made the mistake of 7.1.2, and for that mistake there is no bug report at all. Too bad. You're screwed.

Three years ago when we were selecting a new email server, our number one priority was reliability. Our last system had it, Zimbra had to have it. We had a perfectly stable Zimbra 6.0 system for two years-- no complaints. Now, however, it is anything but stable, and there's no end point in sight. How could anyone recommend or excuse this?

C'mon Zimbra, toss us a bone here. We'd like to spend time with our wives and kids again on the weekends and evenings, and stop getting complaints from 1,600 users who are just trying to use their email.
    Last edited by heynderickxj; 09-25-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo, depression

The last comment on that bug says there is a patch for 7.1.2. Perhaps you should try the sales/support people to get it. I'm glad you guys bought this up, as I will stop one of my customers upgrading (who has alot of shared IMAP mailboxes).
    http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au/hosting/zimbra/
    Australia's premier Zimbra Hosting Partner
    Resellers wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_kempe View Post
    The last comment on that bug says there is a patch for 7.1.2. Perhaps you should try the sales/support people to get it. I'm glad you guys bought this up, as I will stop one of my customers upgrading (who has alot of shared IMAP mailboxes).
    Where is this patch? My support told me: There isn't any official patch for 7.1.2 ZCS and NE yet (23.09.2011) I have 4 NE servers and 2 OpenSOurce.. ;-) Probably the patch is only for appliance edition.

Patch for bug 63100 ZCS 7.1.2 has status work in progress? ;-)
    Last edited by soba@ukw.edu.pl; 09-25-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    # ZCS 7.1.3 SLES11 SP1

Quote Originally Posted by soba@ukw.edu.pl View Post
    Where is this patch? My support told me: There isn't any official patch for 7.1.2 ZCS and NE yet (23.09.2011) I have 4 NE servers and 2 OpenSOurce.. ;-) Probably the patch is only for appliance edition.

Patch for bug 63100 ZCS 7.1.2 has status work in progress? ;-)
    I have been told by Zimbra support there is a patch and they are checking with engineers when it can be released...So how close the patch is is anyones guess

I have been told by Zimbra support there is a patch and they are checking with engineers when it can be released...So how close the patch is is anyones guess
    Meanwhile, we've already had our first crash of the day, and we wonder how many we'll rack up by day's end.

If the frequence increases, the Zimbra server might as well be dead in the water.

So, when is the patch for 7.1.2...

7.1.2_P1 should be released in the next few days. You can private message me for an early access release if you are having the IMAP deadlock issues.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Well patch applied (Thank you)

Keeping a close eye on the server.