Thread: Strange Printing Behaviour

Default Strange Printing Behaviour

After a period of testing, we have recently started to use Zimbra for real and are experiencing a number of issues, especially regarding printing HTML email messages from the Ajax Web Client.

Server details:
    Linux ldsvirt0 2.6.18-194.el5xen #1 SMP Fri Apr 2 15:34:40 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ZCS Version:
    Release 6.0.7_GA_2473.RHEL5_64_20100616215237 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition.

Clients:
    Mainly Firefox 6.0.2 on Windows 2000 (also tried with Internet Explorer without a satisfactory outcome, and tried Standard HTML without any difference)

The 3 main issues we have are:
    1. Long lines without any white-space do not get wrapped. Bug 9182 Long strings should wrap With Firefox set to "Shrink to fit Page Width", the output is in a tiny font but still some text is missing from the right hand side of the page. With "Shrink to fit Page Width" turned off, the output is simply truncated on the right.

2. A <pre> tag containing a very long line does not get word-wrapped, so the same symptoms as at point #1 occur.

3. Sometimes, the font of the print-out is erratic, and nothing like what appears on screen.

For items 1 and 2, we have seen these problems with email coming in from outside the organisation (so we cannot tell the users to format their HTML properly). Case #3 was composed in the Zimbra Ajax Web Client. For all 3 cases, forwarding the email to Gmail permits acceptable output from Gmail, but the print from within Zimbra is not usable.

We do have other printing issues, but have not yet been able to produce examples.

Attached are examples of each problem. The extra-info.zip contains printouts of the same messages from Gmail (which are fine), a screenshot of the message display for case #3 (which is fine) and the message sources.

Are these well known issues? What can be done about them?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
    Attached Files Attached Files

i've hit several similar printing issues in 6.x, specifically the pre tag one. I don't recall which version it was fixed in but I remember it was fixed. You really should upgrade to at least the latest 6.x version

Thanks for that bdial, we will update to the latest 6.x version.

We upgraded to 6.0.14 and issue #2 with the <pre> tag is fixed, so that's a definite improvement. Issue #1 Bug 9182, reported over 5 years ago, is not fixed, unless there's some configuration option I haven't discovered. Issue #3 is no different either in 6.0.14.

Unless there are any further suggestions, I'll update bug 9182 and open a new one for issue #3.

This has raised its ugly head in 7.1 with us recently and is driving our users to request getting rid of Zimbra.

In addition for no reason at all font appears minuscule on the screen when created as 12 point by the sender. There seems to be no answer for this either.

The fact that this serious a bug has been around for 5 years is quite disturbing. I find it hard to believe the issue is not rampant in the Zimbra community. <off soap box>
    Mark A. Fien
    The FIEN Group, LLC

** Murphy was an optimist ***