Thread: Attachment size is a wreck.

Angry Attachment size is a wreck.

I had a case where when I migrated from 32bit 6.X to 64bit 7.X that the attachment size gets padded to such an extent that the size setting in the admin console is laughable.

A 15.5MB attachment is believed by Zimbra to be 21MB after 'processing'.

We had a customer bounce an email to us as a result of this discrepancy and it cost us $300 in fees...Can we try an be a bit more accurate or at least describe on the attachment size setting the additional MB required for 'padding'?

Sheesh.

this isnt padding, but a result of mime encoding, and the bloat can vary depending on the type of file youre attaching

I found some bug requests about this issue, that my users are experiencing in version 7.2.0 . It's a bit confusing for them, because they can not attach files bigger than 7MB while it is specified in the attachment popup that the limit is 10MB. I changed that limit to 13MB, so they can now attach 10MB files, but obviously now the popup says that the limit is 13MB, and it is still confusing.
    Here are the bug requests:
    https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=72437
    https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56786

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jobe View Post
    I found some bug requests about this issue, that my users are experiencing in version 7.2.0 . It's a bit confusing for them, because they can not attach files bigger than 7MB while it is specified in the attachment popup that the limit is 10MB. I changed that limit to 13MB, so they can now attach 10MB files, but obviously now the popup says that the limit is 13MB, and it is still confusing.
    Here are the bug requests:
    https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=72437
    https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56786
    The problem is not those bug reports it's the fact that you're specifying a size that's too restrictive when you add the mime encoding (which can add 33% to the file size). You know that the mime encoding happens, your users don't - perhaps you need to set something more realistic for the size they can send?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The problem is not those bug reports it's the fact that you're specifying a size that's too restrictive when you add the mime encoding (which can add 33% to the file size). You know that the mime encoding happens, your users don't - perhaps you need to set something more realistic for the size they can send?
    I do agree, but there will always be a little confusing ambiguity between the limit shown in the attachment popup and the real maximum size of a file that you can attach (the ~33% size introduced by the mime encoding): in my opinion it may be useful to introduce in the admin console the possibility to specify a real limit of size and a "fake" size to be shown in the attachment popup, or simply make the limit shown in the popup equal to the limit you specify in the admin console minus the 33% of that limit...