Thread: Possible to disable mobile syncing on a per address book basis?

Default Possible to disable mobile syncing on a per address book basis?

Running NE version 7.1.xx, and some of my sales users have over 6000 contacts in various address books. Based on the behaviour of the iPhone and Android devices, it appears something less than 1000 contacts is the limit for the device, so I'd like to enable/disable syncing to one address book.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,

David

In relation to Android devices:

1) NONE of the syncing options between Zimbra and Android currently preserves all contact fields.
    So beware (see fuller explanation below, for reference).

2) On my Android device I sync over 2000 contacts (both with CardDavSync app and Android's built-in Exchange Activesync), so I'm not sure how/why you are getting a 1000 limit?

3) You can use CardDavSync app from Android Market or CardDAV-Sync - about. (Only paid version includes certain fields such as Organisaiton, Nickname, etc...)

4) With CardDavSync the set-up is easy, it understands Zimbra servers, and you set-up one sync account for each Zimbra addressbook you may have.

5) CardDavSync works very well with Zimbra, but just like using built-in (activesync) fields are lost as explained below.

6) If you are happy with one-way sync, CardDavSync permits you to sync only from Server to Device - which will prevent data loss.

7) CardDavSync uses CardDav standard - the way Zimbra implements it doesn't allow for multiple phone numbers of some type (such as mobiles), doesn't allow CardDav standard IM addresses, and doesn't allow certain phone fields or any custom fields. So these will not be synced.

8) CardDavSync hasn't been so good with very large addressbooks in the past. It is getting better. It has a very responsive developer.

Good luck!

DATA LOSS WARNING FOR ALL CONTACT SYNCING FROM ZIMBRA TO ANDROID

For example:

a) Create a contact in Zimbra
    b) Add 2 mobile numbers and 2 webpages and an anniversary to a contact.
    c) Sync it to Android.
    d) Edit any part of the contact in Android.
    e) Sync again.
    f) View contact in Zimbra.
    g) Second mobile number is lost, anniversaries are lost, extra URLs are lost, certain phone numbers are lost. FileAs information may have changed.
    h) Fling mobile device to the ground in rage. (Throwing Zimbra server to the ground would be more appropriate, but it's probably a touch too heavy!)

Thanks for the info! In terms of numbers of contacts on android, I had 5800 or so going to my own x2, and there were times where I would try to look up a contact to call and it would take almost 5 minutes to get to that contact - in the mean time the phone was unusable. I did some research, and anecdotally, common thinking was that 1000 contacts on android or iphone4 would work fine, so I simply settled on that number. Have you every heard of limiting the sync to one particular address book?

Hi David,

Well, as I regularly manage addressbooks of 2000 contacts without any significant problem. CardDavSync is even quicker and very stable.

As I said:

"4) With CardDavSync the set-up is easy, it understands Zimbra servers, and you set-up one sync account for each Zimbra addressbook you may have."

I.e. with the CardDavSync Pro app (download it from Android Market) you set-up one sync account per addressbook, so yes, you can sync per addressbook.

With standard Exchange Activesync (the built-in sync in Android) you can't!

When using CardDavSync Pro remember the following fields shouldn't (yet) be used if you're going to edit your contacts on your phone:

Maidenname, Company phone, Assistant phone, Car phone, Callback phone, Anniversary, or any Custom fields.

Also, per contact, you should not create more than 3 IM fields, 2 home phone numbers, 2 work phone numbers, or more than 1 of any of the following: mobile, pager, other, home fax, work fax, other fax, home address, work address, other address, birthday, home url, work url, other url.

Provided you follow that, than I suggest you used CardDavSync and turn off Contact syncing with Exchange Activesync (do so in Settings: Accounts - you can still use it for email and calender).