Thread: 1 set of users with two domains?

Hybrid View

Default 1 set of users with two domains?

I have a machine now, host1.foo.edu. It's a mail/web server and receives mail locally. I want to move mail services off of it onto a zimbra box, host1-mail.foo.edu. The plan was to migrate users one at a time over to zimbra, and then set up a per-user forward on host1 that points to host1-mail.foo.edu. When everyone is migrated over, I was going to change the DNS MX record on host1.foo.edu to point to host1-mail.foo.edu. Can I get zimbra to receive mail for host1.foo.edu also, without creating a separate set of users for that domain? I need to leave the old machine up and running, because it is also my webserver, so I'm relying only on the MX record to send the mail to zimbra..

Does this sound do-able?

Thanks!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Does this page in the wiki sound like your setup?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I won't have 2 operational mail servers.. just 1. After I migrate all my users over to the zimbra box, I'll change the MX record for host1.foo.edu to point to host1-mail.foo.edu
    So my zimbra machine (host1-mail.foo.edu) will need to recieve mail for both itself and host1.foo.edu, with 1 set of users common to each. I.e
    mail is sent to joe@host1.foo.edu
    MX record redirects it to joe@host1-mail.foo.edu
    zimbra receives mail for host1.foo.edu and drops it in the same mailbox it would drop mail for joe@host1-mail.foo.edu

Although looking at that wiki again, perhaps I could substitute my second domain in place of the second physical server in that example.. but then I'd still need two separate sets of users, right?

Basically I just want to have mail destined for users@ either of those hosts be received by zimbra and go to the same mailbox..

Thanks!
    Last edited by k-gun12; 11-08-2006 at 11:27 AM.

this is confusing. let's separate the idea of mail domain (user@domain.edu) vs machine hostname (zimbra.domain.edu and mail.domain.edu). or do you really have user@mail.domain.edu? are you planning to change the domain to user@zimbra.domain.edu? if not, the split domain is probably the way to go