Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: A few questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    10

    Default A few questions

    Okay, so perhaps I could download the source code and browse through it to find answers to these questions, but I figured it'd be much more efficient to ask here.

    First, let me say that I think that I'm very impressed with what you have put together here. This looks to have quite a lot of potential as an open-source replacement for the likes of Exchange and Notes. I've read through the architecture document and really like what I've seen so far.

    Anyway, my first question relates to the fact that I would be migrating from Exchange and thus would like to install Zimbra on a windows-based server. I know that currently you support only Linux and probably other Unix variants if built from source, but are there many fundamental aspects of Zimbra that might prevent it from being easily ported? Obviously, the dependence on Postfix is one issue that would have to be worked around, but are there others? Is a Windows port on the roadmap at all? Are there any plans on removing dependencies on native binaries and implementing the remainder of the product as pure Java?

    Second, I'm unsure about the licensing requirements for Verity. Does Zimbra include Verity under some form of F/OSS license, or is it simply that Zimbra can leverage Verity if you have it licensed and installed separately? If it is the latter, are the Zimbra libraries for indexing and viewing attachments sufficiently abstract that one could easily develop an interface with another indexing/search engine?

    Third, your feature list is quite impressive. Is this a list of current functionality (i.e., are each at least at a beta stage of development), or does it represent a roadmap for current and future development?

    Finally, a quick but specific question. Does the IMAP4 implementation in Zimbra fully support the IDLE command? My push e-mail solution relies on this functionality.

    Thanks!
    Paul York

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptyork
    First, let me say that I think that I'm very impressed with what you have put together here. This looks to have quite a lot of potential as an open-source replacement for the likes of Exchange and Notes. I've read through the architecture document and really like what I've seen so far.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by ptyork
    Anyway, my first question relates to the fact that I would be migrating from Exchange and thus would like to install Zimbra on a windows-based server. I know that currently you support only Linux and probably other Unix variants if built from source, but are there many fundamental aspects of Zimbra that might prevent it from being easily ported? Obviously, the dependence on Postfix is one issue that would have to be worked around, but are there others? Is a Windows port on the roadmap at all? Are there any plans on removing dependencies on native binaries and implementing the remainder of the product as pure Java?
    Your correct postfix is the largest hurdle. Currently the rest of the app and dependancies work on the Windows platform. We just don't test or reccomend taking that path at this time. If true though that the community could put something together that could make this possible. We don't have any plans today internally for a windows port, although technically there's not too many road blocks.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptyork
    Second, I'm unsure about the licensing requirements for Verity. Does Zimbra include Verity under some form of F/OSS license, or is it simply that Zimbra can leverage Verity if you have it licensed and installed separately? If it is the latter, are the Zimbra libraries for indexing and viewing attachments sufficiently abstract that one could easily develop an interface with another indexing/search engine?
    Verity is something we are still testing. It will be available under our Network license. The indexing api is open and we encourage the community to write or integrate additional indexing and search tools or libraries.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptyork
    Third, your feature list is quite impressive. Is this a list of current functionality (i.e., are each at least at a beta stage of development), or does it represent a roadmap for current and future development?
    If our refering to the link below. That is the current feature list.
    http://zimbra.com/downloads/feature_list.html

    Quote Originally Posted by ptyork
    Finally, a quick but specific question. Does the IMAP4 implementation in Zimbra fully support the IDLE command? My push e-mail solution relies on this functionality.
    Yes we support that.

Similar Threads

  1. Virtual Appliance Questions
    By riogd in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 11:47 AM
  2. Zimbra Pre-Install Questions
    By dczanik in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 12:10 PM
  3. A few other questions
    By dcm in forum Installation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 03:33 PM
  4. Commercial CA questions
    By cdyer in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 03:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •