Thread: Options for Small Web Hosting Providers?

Hybrid View

Question Options for Small Web Hosting Providers?

Does anyone have any suggestions for zimbra hosting geared towards small web hosting providers. I have 20-30 domains with mostly forwarding aliases and a total of 10-15 POP/IMAP accounts hosted on my one poor server that's also the web and database server. I would love to move all mail operations off of this server and possibly to a zimbra server. This number of accounts clearly doesn't justify me running my own server.

Are there any hosting providers that have plans that work well for small hosting providers like me? Many forwarding addresses, a few accounts, many domains. Allowing domain level administration would also be important.

Any other mail solution suggestions would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by river_t
    Are there any hosting providers that have plans that work well for small hosting providers like me? Many forwarding addresses, a few accounts, many domains. Allowing domain level administration would also be important.
    See, I wouldn't necessarily agree that you shouldn't run your own mail server. Having full control of mail can be useful, and not particularly hard to keep running.

As a small shop, it might not be worth your while to buy the Network Zimbra... at a certain point, the minimum costs of Zimbra are more than your revenue.

But I solved that by running the OSS Zimbra.

You mentioned the domain admin feature, which would be a problem with the OSS version.

Zimbra comes with the command line tools that allows one to manipulate users, domains, aliases, and the like... maybe you could hire a consultant to create a Zimbra plugin to whatever control panel your users use now?

Or, maybe you could even convince some aspiring OSS programmers to do that.

There's been a number of folks in the forums asking about control panel software with Zimbra support; I think a lot of folks would use it once available.

I've dabbled around with adding it to Webmin/Virtualmin, but never had a chance to finish that up. It's certainly a do-able task for someone even semi-familiar with Perl.
    -Eric
    Last edited by andreychek; 11-13-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by river_t
    Does anyone have any suggestions for zimbra hosting geared towards small web hosting providers. I have 20-30 domains with mostly forwarding aliases and a total of 10-15 POP/IMAP accounts hosted on my one poor server that's also the web and database server. I would love to move all mail operations off of this server and possibly to a zimbra server. This number of accounts clearly doesn't justify me running my own server.

Any other mail solution suggestions would be great.
    There are any number of hosting partners that would be willing to work with you on something like this. We are certainly one of them, but there are others as well http://www.zimbra.com/partners/hosting_partners.html (towards the bottom is the listing).