Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Zimbra fails after hostname change

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Zimbra fails after hostname change

    Hello,
    I've broken a working zimbra server whilst migrating Samba domains.
    the server is a Samba PDC, and I have changed the domain name, hosts file and DNS to the new domain.
    Unfortunately I did all this before thinking about zimbra, and it only came to my attention once I migrated users also, and then found that email is not working.

    I have reverted my hosts file to the previous domain, and run the following:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetservername -n tux.tasc

    I get the result:
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException -n:389)
    Host -n
    Stopping stats...Done
    Stopping mta...Done
    Stopping spell...Done
    Stopping snmp...Done
    Stopping archiving...Done
    Stopping antivirus...Done
    Stopping antispam...Done
    Stopping imapproxy...Done
    Stopping mailbox...Done
    Stopping logger...Done
    Stopping ldap...Done
    Failed to start slapd. Attempting debug start to determine error.
    daemon: getaddrinfo() failed: Name or service not known

    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
    ldap_initialize( ldap://-n:389 )
    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException -n:389)


    Seemingly an LDAP problem. So far I have found no useful posts that do not required running the installer again. But I don't want to lose any emails from the existing mailboxes.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance.

    Stuart

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Thanks vavai,

    I tried to restore from backup, but found it to be corrupt. I then tried to restore my DNS settings (actually added the original domain to /etc/hosts and created a new DNS zone with the old domain.
    then, I re-ran the zmsethostname command, but omitting the -n switch. This has restore zimbra to full working state.
    I will now consider if I want to change the hostname again, or to leave my additional DNS zone in place.

    Thanks for your help.

    Stuart

Similar Threads

  1. Major Issue - 5.0RC2 NE to 5.0GA NE failed
    By DougWare in forum Installation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
  2. [SOLVED] Error Installing Zimbra on RHEL 5
    By harris7139 in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM
  3. 4.5 Upgrade failure
    By brained in forum Installation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 02:30 PM
  4. huge log size
    By rmvg in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 09:39 AM
  5. 3.1 on FC4 problems
    By cohnhead in forum Installation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •