I wanted to prepare my Zimbra server for an upgrade to 7.1.4. Before upgrading, I wanted to backup the VMware image in which Zimbra runs. Something went wrong and I have the worst case. Backup not successful and the disk image is damaged as well. - So, I have the following situation:
- The latest backup is 3 months old :-(
- The number of accounts is luckily low. It's about 15 accounts
- IMAP clients (Mac Mail on OS X Lion, iPhone and iPad) have some mail cached
- CalDAV clients (iCal on OS X Lion, iPhone and iPad) have some calendar entries available offline
- CardDAV clients (Address book on OS X Lion, iPhone and iPad) have addressed cached local
What happens if I bring the old backup online? Will IMAP, CalDAV, CardDAV be able to restore newer documents back to the server?
How can I export IMAP, CalDAV, CardDAV data to save as much as possible?
What do you think of the following approach:
- Recover from the backup
- Rename all accounts temporarily on the the client
- Create new accounts on the clients with the proper account names
- This allows the client to receive the old mail plus new mail that got delivered in the mean time
- Copy data from renamed account and paste it to the proper one
Any help is welcome!