Thread: Best way to send email from command line?

Default Best way to send email from command line?

Okay, I'm getting a series of emails from another program that need to be loaded into Zimbra somehow. I tried using Postfix directly, but that seems to randomly drop emails (emails the system is receiving will be randomly lost between the other program and Zimbra). So what's the best way to load emails into Zimbra from an outside program via command line? Is there some sort of command in Zimbra's binaries for this?

(echo "Subject: SUBJECT_TO_BE_CHANGED";echo "MESSAGE_TO_BE_EDITED") | /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail user@domain.com

Don't remove the "Subject:", it's a keyword, or your mail won't have any subject.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by nameless' View Post
    (echo "Subject: SUBJECT_TO_BE_CHANGED";echo "MESSAGE_TO_BE_EDITED") | /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail user@domain.com

Don't remove the "Subject:", it's a keyword, or your mail won't have any subject.

Cheers
    Like I said, I tried that, but it appears to randomly drop email (or at least, every once in a while an email won't appear in the system at all).

Default ? recommended way to install /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Phoenix View Post
    Like I said, I tried that, but it appears to randomly drop email (or at least, every once in a while an email won't appear in the system at all).

This is supposed to work, right? What is the recommended way of installing this sendmail on systems? Can I just copy the executable without going through and perform a whole install? I have a lot of systems that don't need to have Zimbra installed. Just the ability to send email from within scripts for notification or tracking purposes.

I've seen email about installing sendemail but doing a quick test show it seems to have some bugs and gave me error for slightly longer messages (10 characters).

Thanks,

Derek