Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrating 7.1.4 GA Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit to 7.1.4 GA Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit

Default Migrating 7.1.4 GA Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit to 7.1.4 GA Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit

I'm attempting to migrate a Zimbra 7.1.4 GA installation from an Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit server to Zimbra 7.1.4 GA on an Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit server. (Note I've also tried migrating to a Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit server with same results).

I'm following the instructions on this page:

Platform and OS Independent ZCS to ZCS Migration Using Rsync

I've got as far as transferring all the files and backing up/transferring the ldap configuration. I'm running into issues importing the ldap config on the 64bit server:

Code:
    zimbra@ubuntu64:~$ /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd -q -n 0 -F /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config -cv -l /backup/ldap-config.bak

-su: /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd: No such file or directory
    I'm not sure what to make of this. The slapadd binary exists, so I assume there's some file the binary cannot reference. /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config exists. /backup/ldap-config.bak exists. I'm not sure which file or directory slapadd is referring to.

I've used this technique for migration in the past and it's worked with no problems. Any insights would be appreciated. I'd like to get get zimbra migrated to a 64 bit server as zimbra for Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit has been deprecated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McCann View Post

Platform and OS Independent ZCS to ZCS Migration Using Rsync
    This part of that page looks wrong:
    Restore the LDAP from backup.

Re-run install.sh.
    as you've running the old incompatible LDAP binaries at the "restore" point.

Try running "install.sh -s" just before the slapadd step. The install.sh step is still necessary.

As to why the particular error you got: don't know. The simplest explanation is that the rsync didn't work.
    Release 6.0.6_GA_2324.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'm attempting to migrate a Zimbra 7.1.4 GA installation from an Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit server to Zimbra 7.1.4 GA on an Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit server. (Note I've also tried migrating to a Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit server with same results).

You should follow the Certified wiki article on moving from 32bit to 64bit systems: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should follow the Certified wiki article on moving from 32bit to 64bit systems: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki
    That method requires considerable manual intervention, which leaves a lot of room for error.

The rsync method, once it is developed, appears to need far less manual intervention and should be less error-prone.

My first attempt at 32 bit -> 64 bit conversion of 6.0.6 on Ubuntun8 via rsync seems to work well, other than the "Server Status" page on the Admin Console, which didn't work before the conversion anyway.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jrv View Post
    That method requires considerable manual intervention, which leaves a lot of room for error.
    Not if you follow the instructions.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    On that guide, when you get to the local config XML, why cant you just copy and paste the XML file from the old server to the new one? All of the values are the same, what is the point of editing the new one?

Edit, just tried following this guide like the OP did, and I'm having the same problem.... the files are obviously there as you can see, the rsync completed just fine.

I've tried running this as Zimbra and Root, both give the same problem.

Anyone have any idea whats wrong?
    Last edited by Eclipse; 03-06-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Default Gave up on rsync

I gave up on the rsync method to go from 32 to 64. I did try the manual method:

Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server

This got around the slapadd issue; I'm able to import my ldap configuration and data, but I've yet to produce a working 64 bit system. A number of the daemons start, but I'm not able to get the web mail or web admin interfaces to load. Also, it appears as though IMAP is down as well. I was going to give it another shot in the future and post further questions after I was 100% sure I followed the instructions in the other article exactly as described.

What I can say is the rsync method, at least as documented, is a dead end.

I gave up on the rsync method to go from 32 to 64. I did try the manual method:

Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server

This got around the slapadd issue; I'm able to import my ldap configuration and data, but I've yet to produce a working 64 bit system. A number of the daemons start, but I'm not able to get the web mail or web admin interfaces to load. Also, it appears as though IMAP is down as well. I was going to give it another shot in the future and post further questions after I was 100% sure I followed the instructions in the other article exactly as described.

What I can say is the rsync method, at least as documented, is a dead end.
    The only service that fails to start for me is the mailbox, everything else runs fine.

mailbox Stopped
    zmmailboxdctl is not running.
    The Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki Guide doesn't even work because of those same slapadd commands are in there don't work.

Hmph.

EDIT:

I ran the install.sh file again ignoring the slapadd commands, then tried running them again and they are actually trying to run now but with errors. It looks like running the install.sh without the -s registered slapadd as an active program or something.

Seems like a bug with the Zimbra install.sh -s flag.

Is this http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Platform...on_Using_Rsync guide a community guide or official one?
    Last edited by Eclipse; 03-06-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    Edit, just tried following this guide like the OP did, and I'm having the same problem....
    slapadd should be run as user "zimbra", not root.

Maybe run the "file" command on the slapadd file to make sure it's the 64-bit slapadd and not the 32-bit rsync'd version.
    Code:
    alf@zimbra:~$ file /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd 
    /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd: symbolic link to `slapd'
    alf@zimbra:~$ file /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapd
    /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
    If it still fails use strace to see why.

I imported the ldap data with this:

Code:
    alf@zimbra:~$ cat import-ldap.sh 
    mv -i  /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/hdb/db/DB_CONFIG /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/DB_CONFIG.$$ || exit

rm -rf /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/hdb/*
    rm -rf /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/accesslog/*
    mkdir -p /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/hdb/db /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/hdb/logs
    chown -R zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/data/ldap

mv -i  /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/DB_CONFIG.$$ /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/hdb/db/DB_CONFIG || exit

sudo su - zimbra -c "/opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd -q -n 0 -F /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config -cv -l /backup/ldap-config.bak"
    sudo su - zimbra -c "/opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd -q -b \"\" -F /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config -cv -l /backup/ldap.bak"
    alf@zimbra:~$