Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring a single mailbox

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    OH PLEASE GUYS

why you guys thinking so overcomplicated

You want an easy solution - here it is
    make an virtual host - best is a clone of the server but i testet it with a regular ubuntu workstion it works there too
    Well, most people wouldn't call creating an entire new server and regularly importing data from the production server easy, but it is one approach. Of course, there is also the cost of storage, and hardware unless you VM the clone. The point of doing backups with the redolog is that it can do constant near realtime backup.

That sounds interesting, but not really simple . It's quite involved. It's a little simpler for because my Zimbra is a virtual machine which I can easily copy.

its not that hard as it sounds,

problem with redos in foss are that you just can backup and restore the hole server but not a single mailbox

so no matter which option for backup you use still problem how to restore only a little

btw its also not that costly depending on your backupsolution
    you can do the vm on your computer using virtualbox and simply rsync the data and database dirs from backup

then fire it up - i did it once on a very quick and dirty way didnt even change the hostname - got a lost of errors BUT exporting mailboxes worked like charm

so basically all you have todo one time is to copy the vm or duplicate your setup in a vm ONE TIME somwhere where youve easy access too

- in case of restoring
    rsync (or use in my case the backup software) the datadirectorys
    -start it
    -export mailbox

i got that step down to a few minutes - only the restoring data part takes a while but my work is about 5 minutes

of course my NE servers are more easy to mainain but hey you cant have everything right

problem with redos in foss are that you just can backup and restore the hole server but not a single mailbox
    Yes, you can restore a single mailbox with the ZeXtras module, live. At least, they say you can:
    "allowing a system administrator to backup any data and configuration on a live server with no downtime"

"It takes advantage of the native RedoLog system to perform a real-time backup of ALL transactions on the server, giving the administrator a wide array of restore options. From a single-mailbox rollback to a full server recovery everything is possible, with split-second precision."

They claim more backup features than NE: http://www.zextras.com/brochure/zimb...ison_table.pdf

They've got a trial download, I just may test it out.

Is it really nessesary to post the hole Marketing blabla ??
    Its a commercial addon not a solution everyone wants

i gave a nice woraround todo without a 3rd party software which should be good enought for most people

id feel as you get paid by em : )))))

Problem with xetra
    1. licencing - its so bad as zimbra is you pay on a per mailbox
    this is not acceptable - this is the licensemodell from exchange - i really cannot accept it on linux and pss platforms and dont wanna support that bad manner

actually i would rather pay lets say 500 $ for an unlimited licensen than 300 for a limited but with enough to backup all current accounts
    its simplier easier to plan than paying for every little bit

2.My real issue with xetra is the not testet thing
    i rember so well how NE edition suffered a lot of bugs and limitation and after a long time it finally worked out - somehow

now you get a new software with a much much much schmaller userbase - backup isnt something i give a simple try because usual the worst case is the real try and i need to sue something i can rely on every day in every constellation

(btw thats why i even cold backup NEservers which i can do in my setup within 4 minutes tops)

Dont get me wrong im not saying that the software is bad - or is good - im saying i dont know -
    and that we saw that backup is something bit difficult with zimbras storage design even for zimbra devs itself
    so the chance xetra running in to trouble someday / in some constellation is a good one... jsut because the hole topic is a minefield in zimbra

so for now i rely on the working methods -
    because ever user know to make backups in zdekstop and think we dont make our own i ussually do not have to restore a mailbox hehe

and those 3 cases a year i go with my method bevore paying 14$ per mailbox for that

mobile seems interresting if you dont have to license for every existing user but only for used users. it may be interresting for blackberry

but normal activesync i really have to say liverpools zimbrabackend with zpush is somewhat of rock solid i even use it now with ne server

Is it really nessesary to post the hole Marketing blabla ??
    No, it isn't. Which is why I didn't. I quoted a couple of sentences.
    Its a commercial addon not a solution everyone wants
    No one has said they do.
    i gave a nice woraround todo without a 3rd party software which should be good enought for most people
    You gave one workaround, among many other possibilities. I also gave him a couple of workarounds. Good for us.
    id feel as you get paid by em : )))))
    I made it clear I hadn't used it.
    Problem with xetra
    1. licencing - its so bad as zimbra is you pay on a per mailbox
    this is not acceptable - this is the licensemodell from exchange - i really cannot accept it on linux and pss platforms and dont wanna support that bad manner

actually i would rather pay lets say 500 $ for an unlimited licensen than 300 for a limited but with enough to backup all current accounts
    its simplier easier to plan than paying for every little bit
    I agree. But the price is low enough that it makes it more attractive.
    2.My real issue with xetra is the not testet thing
    i rember so well how NE edition suffered a lot of bugs and limitation and after a long time it finally worked out - somehow

now you get a new software with a much much much schmaller userbase - backup isnt something i give a simple try because usual the worst case is the real try and i need to sue something i can rely on every day in every constellation
    I agree again. If a piece of software interests me, I like to hear about the experiences of others with it, and try it out myself, before committing to it. Especially for something as important as backup.

mobile seems interresting if you dont have to license for every existing user but only for used users. it may be interresting for blackberry

but normal activesync i really have to say liverpools zimbrabackend with zpush is somewhat of rock solid i even use it now with ne server
    I have not found it to be rock solid, and there are lots of people who have various issues. Perhaps when Z-Push 2.0 finally gets released it'll get better.

actually most issues in the zpush backend are install related

the other issues are 99% on the client side and are sometimes even worse with ne edit. or real sync with an actual exchange srv

problem is usually that the activesync proto is bad implemented and behaves often different .. but thats not the server thing sadly not

ife running now about 150 devices on the backend and beside plattformrelated quirks perfectly fine.
    we got older sony and nokia. iphones . androids

liverpoolfan made a good job considering platform specificnbugs like the nokia one.. only downside is no blackberry

aboutxetra the cost are the level the networkedt cost if you got enouh users .. btw the networkedt should cost that whatxetra cost at least for hosting provider who have to compete office 365 for 60 bucks a year with 50gig space - beside the ms thing is real ugly and unuseable people tend to see just numbers

anyway more atractive maybe but not really unless i can pay per month based on usded account without block licensecing.

but still i dont want support the greedy more user yiu got more you pay modell

alone the hassle to maintain the licenses man i have to manage enough of this kinda crap . we even wrote a own software to manage yearly license blocks ....

actually most issues in the zpush backend are install related

the other issues are 99% on the client side and are sometimes even worse with ne edit. or real sync with an actual exchange srv
    I have heard that AS12.1 helps. Since that's not the main branch, I haven't wanted to bother until I could roll out a new full release version. I have had serious issues with both iPhone and Android.
    problem is usually that the activesync proto is bad implemented and behaves often different .. but thats not the server thing sadly not
    Android took a long time to add ActiveSync, it is no easy thing.
    liverpoolfan made a good job considering platform specificnbugs like the nokia one.. only downside is no blackberry
    Someone would have to emulate BES, like Z-Push does ActiveSync. Not gonna happen.

anyway more atractive maybe but not really unless i can pay per month based on usded account without block licensecing.

but still i dont want support the greedy more user yiu got more you pay modell
    A lot of people don't like licensing, hence the popularity of Zimbra OSS. Depending on the software, the price, and the quality of support, licensing can still be an OK option in some instances. Block licensing is old school, I agree.
    alone the hassle to maintain the licenses man i have to manage enough of this kinda crap . we even wrote a own software to manage yearly license blocks ....
    Yeah, annual licenses are not great.