Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block users from downloading messages locally

Default Block users from downloading messages locally

Is there a way to block users from downloading messages locally? Even if I block POP/IMAP, the ZCS client downloads all messages through http

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
    ...... the ZCS client downloads all messages through http
    If you're talking about the Web UI, it does not.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If you're talking about the Web UI, it does not.
    Let me explain this. Before ZCS I used Exchange, in order to keep all messages on the server, and not let them be taken away top the client machines, I disabled cached mode in outlook.

Now I have moved over to ZCS 7.1, and replaced outlook with zimbra client, but when it starts, it starts syncing the account (and some of those are huge), I would rather it didn't sync anything, and would just display the content on the ZCS without downloading it locally

Let me explain this. Before ZCS I used Exchange, in order to keep all messages on the server, and not let them be taken away top the client machines, I disabled cached mode in outlook.
    The only protocol that removes downloaded mail from a server is POP3.

Now I have moved over to ZCS 7.1, and replaced outlook with zimbra client, but when it starts, it starts syncing the account (and some of those are huge), I would rather it didn't sync anything, and would just display the content on the ZCS without downloading it locally
    If you're talking about the Zimbra Web UI, as I've already said, it does not download any local mail.

If you're talking about Zimbra Desktop then it also does not remove the mail from the server unless the user deletes any of it, that's what a user is allowed to do on a mail server.
    Regards

Bill

The only protocol that removes downloaded mail from a server is POP3.

If you're talking about the Zimbra Web UI, as I've already said, it does not download any local mail.

If you're talking about Zimbra Desktop then it also does not remove the mail from the server unless the user deletes any of it, that's what a user is allowed to do on a mail server.
    I am not talking about removing mail from the server, but indeed, it seems like the zimbra desktop is replicating the mailbox locally (watching https traffic in the router logs, I'm well over 10Gb already). The question is whether or not, it is possible to avoid this local mailbox replication by Zimbra Desktop, and instead make it work in online mode only, same as the web GUI behaves

I am not talking about removing mail from the server, but indeed, it seems like the zimbra desktop is replicating the mailbox locally (watching https traffic in the router logs, I'm well over 10Gb already). The question is whether or not, it is possible to avoid this local mailbox replication by Zimbra Desktop, and instead make it work in online mode only, same as the web GUI behaves
    This is a quote from the Zimbra Desktop page (note the highlighted text):

The free Zimbra Desktop client allows you to meld the online and offline worlds – storing and synching your email, calendar, contacts, files and documents in the cloud, yet having them locally accessible when on the road. Zimbra
    The answer to your original question would be no.
    Regards

Bill

This is a quote from the Zimbra Desktop page (note the highlighted text):

The answer to your original question would be no.
    I see, so this is not even configurable... Guess I'll have to turn to other email clients then.

I see, so this is not even configurable...
    You've posted this question in the ZCS Admin forum and my answer relates to your original question about whether you can block the download.. If the user wants to limit the downloaded mail in Zimbra Desktop they can always set it to download from a specific or relative date in the Account set-up options. Why don't you check the relevant section of the client?
    Regards

Bill

You've posted this question in the ZCS Admin forum and my answer relates to your original question about whether you can block the download.. If the user wants to limit the downloaded mail in Zimbra Desktop they can always set it to download from a specific or relative date in the Account set-up options. Why don't you check the relevant section of the client?
    Oh I have, but it doesn't help my specific use case, where I want to avoid local message sync regardless of the date used. I was hoping message download could be blocked at the ZCS level, instead of the client level

But why do you use Zimdra Desktop?
    Why don't you use the web Ui?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Federico Bertola
    CTO @ StudioStorti