Thread: Zimbra Security Issues

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra Security Issues

Hello,
    I am using the Open Source version of Zimbra(4.0.1_GA_324_RHEL4) and it is running fine.
    However, I am concerned about the security of my Mail Server and hence decided to TCP Wrap my ssh service. On doing so, however, the Zimbra Admin Interface began to act up and displayed the following error when clicking on the 'Server Status' link:

Message: system failure: exception during auth {RemoteManager: mail.domain->zimbra@mail.domain:22}
    com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException: system failure: exception during auth {RemoteManager: mail.domain->zimbra@mail.domain:22}
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(Ser viceException.java:174)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.getSession(Remot eManager.java:193)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.execute(RemoteMa nager.java:130)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.GetMailQueueInfo.handl e(GetMailQueueInfo.java:56)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:261)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:162)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:84)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:223)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:709)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:173)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:802)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(A ccessLogValve.java:541)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11 ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProt ocol.java:667)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.process Socket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThr ead.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlR unnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: There was a problem while talking to mail.domain:22
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:64 2)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:46 0)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.getSession(Remot eManager.java:184)
    ... 24 more
    Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream. java:168)
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream. java:182)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.transport.ClientServerHello.<init>(Cl ientServerHello.java:39)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.transport.TransportManager.initialize (TransportManager.java:304)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:59 1)
    ... 26 more

Error code: service.FAILURE
    Method: ZmCsfeCommand.prototype.invoke
    Details:soap:Receiver

Kindly note that for privacy concerns, i have obscured the domain in the message above.

The problem is resolved when I stop using TCP Wrappers. But for security reasons, I do want to secure access to the SSH service on my Mail Server. Here is a copy of my /etc/hosts.allow file:

sshd : 172.27.3.1, 172.27.4.14, 127.0.0.1

To allow Zimbra access to the sshd, I have included 127.0.0.1. But it seems not to be eneough.

Does someone have any idea how to go about this? Any help will be appreciated.

Unhappy

Nobody to answer my question???

You need SSH access to local services since the MTA can be remote. This SSH access is fetching the Postfix queue information. If you don't want/need this abiltiy then you can continue to blcok ssh.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.