Thread: looking for server side filter rules or something similar

Default looking for server side filter rules or something similar

Hello,

I am looking for some kind of filter rule for an account which should be at server side and not at user.

I explain the matter:
    I have a group of users working under same department, all have their individual accounts. In addition, there is one account with the department name. I forward all mails inbound to this account to the respective department head, he reads mail and forwards the same to the users to whom it is finally for. This creates unnecessary internal mail traffic and unnecessary storage too.

If I can create filter rule (or similar) for this department's id, based on certain criteria mail shall drop into respective user's mailbox only.

Guidance or other solutions in the matter are welcome

Dipesh

Have you looked at the mail filter rules available in ZCS via the web interface?

Quote Originally Posted by iway View Post
    Have you looked at the mail filter rules available in ZCS via the web interface?
    Do you mean filter rules in user interface? If so, this might just automate the task, but will not help in reducing mail traffic and/or storage

Dipesh

Hi Dipesh,

Did you achieve any light. I've a similar need?

Quote Originally Posted by dream_liner2k2 View Post
    Hi Dipesh,

Did you achieve any light. I've a similar need?
    nopes, I couldn't find any solution in the matter..

Hi All,

I did this work around to achieve the server side filtering.

1.Thru recipient_bcc i got the inward mails of all the accounts forwarded to a mailbox (say, archive_account)

2. In the preferences of the archive_account, I applied the necessary email filters.

Default Keeping the Size Down

If you can set up several filters to run in order, you can handle this. Exchange has a function called Redirect, which doesn't "Forward" a copy, it just bounces the same mail out to wherever you point it, leaving a copy in your box. However, it also allows you to STACK the actions to take. Check the Zimbra Filters for a Redirect command, and see if you can take more than one action. If you can, the department mailbox could be automated to filter the mail and delete it's own copy, back them all up to a folder etc, but all AFTER the initial redirect. This then leaves only one address to be seen, the original sender, and when replyall, doesn't go through Department mailbox, but straight back to sender. I don't use Zimbra yet, and can't be sure if the function matches perfectly, but most mail servers have it that way (from my experience). I'll be testing one of the latest builds as soon as I can put the hardware together, as I'm thinking of actually implementing it for a Non-profit I just started volunteering with. It's a great way to measure up to professional standards without outputting a ton of $$$ on microsoft any more than we have to.