Thread: Planning Single to Multiserver switch

Hybrid View

Default Planning Single to Multiserver switch

Hi all,

I'm investigating a migration from our current Zimbra environment (single server, 1300 or so users, physical server, RHEL5) to a multi-server environment (multiple servers, virtualized RHEL6 on VMWare).

Is there a guide/forum post/wiki entry that has tips on this somewhere? I've read the multi-server install guide but it appears geared to a fresh install as opposed to moving to multi-server. I've searched pretty thoroughly and all I've been able to find is the following (which does have useful info, but I was wondering if there's anything else out there I missed):
    Upgrade from single server to multiserver Zimbra implementation - Zimbra :: Wiki

Thanks in advance all!
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz

while I don't recall exactly "how" I did it (was a few years ago), we had a similar situation - an existing (single) server, moved to multi-server (added a 2nd box). I think it was pretty easy, enable ldap replication on single, get ldap pwd, install 2nd server/instance, point to existing single-server for ldap/domain).

One thing to remember is that there's really no difference inside Zimbra between a single-server and multi-server install. When you start adding servers you just point them at the LDAP server on your original one and things just magically work. Eventually you can start shutting off services on the original box as you get them migrated to other boxes.

We just went through this not long ago, too. There's a blog post with pretty charts linked from my post in the Zimbra Success Stories topic, though it's a bit light on technical details.

I guess to be more clear... what you want to do is pretend you already have a multi-server installation (even though it's only one server) and follow the directions for adding an additional server to your multi-server install.

Thanks Dave & gnyce - I appreciate your advice, its reassured me somewhat.

When I'm done, I'll come back here and post (or link to) my experiences doing it for reference to others, or possibly warning of my ineptitude
    ---
    Paul Chauvet

I should have checked AJCody's wiki notes. There are ALWAYS good notes there for these kind of things. In case anyone else comes across my post, here's the link:

Ajcody-Going-From-A-Single-ZCS-Server-To-Multi-Server-Configuration - Zimbra :: Wiki

And if (like us) you use F5 load balancers (or something similar):
    http://www.f5.com/pdf/deployment-gui...-zimbra-dg.pdf
    Last edited by chauvetp; 05-01-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    ---
    Paul Chauvet