Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delivery Failure Notification

Default Delivery Failure Notification

I get this error fairly frequently:
    Delivery Failure Notification: Invalid address: Joe Blow <joe@blow.com>. com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender$SafeSendFailedExc eption: MESSAGE_NOT_DELIVERED; chained exception is: com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.smtp.InvalidRecipientExce ption: RCPT failed: Invalid recipient joe@blow.com: 554 5.7.1 <joe@blow.com>: Relay access denied
    What is concerning about this is I can resend it and it goes through right away.

A sample exchange usually goes like this:

8:00 I send email to 'Joe Blow'
    8:00 I get a Delivery Failure Notification
    8:01 I resend email (from drafts) to 'Joe' without changing anything, mail goes through
    8:05 Joe replies
    8:10 I reply, it goes through with no issue
    8:12 Joe replies
    8:13 I reply and get a 'DFN'
    8:14 I resend and get a 'DFN'
    8:15 I resend and it goes through with no problem

Of course it doesn't happen exactly this way every time, but usually once or twice a day I get failures like this, but some days there are no failures.

This happens whether I am using the web client, the Zimbra Desktop, or my iPhone.

What could be causing all these bounces when literally minutes or even seconds later it sends just fine?

Any ideas on what to look for would be appreciated!

Thanks!

h
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law

Is "Joe Blow" on your server or somewhere else?

Is the DNS working reliably on your MTA server? Is DNS working for "blow.com" reliably or is it slow to respond?

Quote Originally Posted by justdave View Post
    Is "Joe Blow" on your server or somewhere else?

Is the DNS working reliably on your MTA server? Is DNS working for "blow.com" reliably or is it slow to respond?
    Thanks for taking a look

Joe Blow is on a separate domain out there somewhere, it happens with any email address, gmail.com, yahoo.com, blow.com, anything.com/net/org/etc.

DNS appears to be fine, pings to blow.com come back as expected.

Code:
    root@mail:~# ping -c 5 blow.com
    PING blow.com (1.2.3.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=102 ms
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=102 ms
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=102 ms
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=102 ms
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=5 ttl=57 time=102 ms

--- blow.com ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 3998ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 102.040/102.455/102.958/0.474 ms
    root@mail:~#
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law

OK, next thing to check this is if your MTA server has all of the the netblocks that include your mailbox servers listed in its "mynetworks" line in the config. In the admin panel, go to Servers, select that MTA server, then go to the MTA tab within that server. There's a line there showing "MTA Trusted Networks" That should have a space-separated list of netblocks in CIDR notation, probably starting with 127.0.0.0/8. It should also include the netblock(s) that contains your mailbox servers (such as 192.168.1.0/24 for example, if you use that IP address range).

Looking at your symptoms again, that could happen if you have more than one MTA server and one of them has the trusted networks set correctly and another one doesn't. The one that doesn't would be logging that error for pretty much everything though...

Looking at your symptoms again, that could happen if you have more than one MTA server and one of them has the trusted networks set correctly and another one doesn't. The one that doesn't would be logging that error for pretty much everything though...
    I'll reply to this one first, there is only one MTA server, in fact, there's only one server of any kind.

h

OK, next thing to check this is if your MTA server has all of the the netblocks that include your mailbox servers listed in its "mynetworks" line in the config. In the admin panel, go to Servers, select that MTA server, then go to the MTA tab within that server. There's a line there showing "MTA Trusted Networks" That should have a space-separated list of netblocks in CIDR notation, probably starting with 127.0.0.0/8. It should also include the netblock(s) that contains your mailbox servers (such as 192.168.1.0/24 for example, if you use that IP address range).
    MTA Trusted Networks:
    Code:
    127.0.0.0/8 192.168.2.0/24 5.6.7.8/29
    Note the 5.6.7.8/29 is my public range (and is correct).

Something else that may or may not be relevant. I actually have two Zimbra servers (both the same distribution/build). Both are on the same internal network with different external IP's. As shown above in the MTA Trusted Networks, both fall within the range of trusted networks. mydomain.com is 192.168.2.5 and 5.6.7.8 and theotherdomain.com is 192.168.2.6 and 5.6.7.9.

But it's also important to know/remember that I get the delivery issues to any/all email addresses seemingly randomly not just to theotherdomain.com. Public traffic is NAT'd to them.

Thanks again for helping me with this.

h

The only other thing I can think of is if your DNS is intermittently failing. If DNS lookups are taking too long and it thinks the domain doesn't exist, it wouldn't accept mail for it, most likely.

I kind of thought about that. I've tried a few different DNS providers. My ISP, Google's (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4), OpenDNS's (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220). All showed similar results.

I"m just not sure what the deal is with it.

Thanks anyway for taking a look!

h

Have you tried sending an email by hand? By this I mean telnet to your SMP server port 25 and feed it the required data?

You could then have a look at the postfix logs to see why it might have rejected the mail.
    Doing it this way you can abort the process before it actually sends any mail and get greater control over the diagnostic process.

Something like this :
    telnet 1.2.3.4 25
    helo blogs.com
    mail from: fred@bloggs.com
    rcpt to: test@user.com

Here is where it will either give you ok or the 55x error. You can terminate from there with 'quit' or continue on to enter some data into the mail body and send it out. Grab the SMTP RFC. It's very easy and makes debugging mail problems like this very easy.

Apologies if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs.