Several times a week I'm getting the following messages:
Apr 28 06:42:37 zmconfigd CRITICAL [1388-MainThread-3] Service status change: mail.domain.tld logger changed from running to stopped
Apr 28 06:43:39 zmconfigd CRITICAL [1388-MainThread-3] Service status change: mail.domain.tld logger changed from stopped to running.
This is not a big deal as it seems to only stop for one minute. Moreover the logger is not a critical service.
Nevertheless, does anybody have a clue why this is happening? This started with ZCS 7.2.
I checked the documentation a bit and for a single server install there does not seem to be any additional steps:
logger admin docs
I would like to see this answer too. We've used Zimbra FOSS for a few years now and we've had this problem ever since. As far as I can tell it doesn't harm the system at all.
So you've had this with FOSS 6.x and now 7.1.1?
Originally Posted by blozancic
As I didn't have it prior to 7.2 this logger behaviour is new to me.
Yes, I forgot which version it was exactly, but it was a 6.x that we started with. I've kept up with the upgrades and it did fix another issue we had (caused by me) but this service stop and start has been happening ever since. I does not happen all the time, just once every day or every few days, or sometimes once a week.
I narrowed it down a bit: it looks like it's happening exactly when the logrotating is happening.
I checked in /var/log/zimbra.log and the CRITICAL messages are one of the first:
I guess zmconfigd is checking for the services - including the logger - a bit too aggressively or the there is a trigger when the logrotate happens..
May 10 06:30:02 mail zimbramon: 17072:info: 2012-05-10 06:30:02, QUEUE: 0 0
May 10 06:30:04 zmconfigd CRITICAL [1388-MainThread-3] Service status change: mail.domain.tld logger changed from running to stopped
May 10 06:31:07 zmconfigd CRITICAL [1388-MainThread-3] Service status change: mail.domain.tld logger changed from stopped to running
I think my last post is not really what is happening. I got more "stopped started" mails now and there is not even an entry in the logs. That's quite strange..
My /opt/zimbra/log/zmconfigd.log is showing this every minute:
Is that normal? I doubt it.
Starting zmconfigd...zmconfigd is already running.
2012-05-10 23:15:12,770 zmconfigd WARNING [1388-MainThread] Fetching All configs
2012-05-10 23:15:13,280 zmconfigd WARNING [1388-MainThread] All configs fetched in 0.51 seconds
2012-05-10 23:15:14,382 zmconfigd WARNING [1388-MainThread] Watchdog: service antivirus status is OK.
2012-05-10 23:15:14,457 zmconfigd WARNING [1388-MainThread] All rewrite threads completed in 0.00 sec
2012-05-10 23:15:14,459 zmconfigd WARNING [1388-MainThread] All restarts completed in 0.00 sec
* EDIT: it is normal and has been around for quite some time, it's a workaround that will eventually disappear:
cf. phoenix's post here.
This really is an old issue and is not yet resolved:
old thread about it (says SOLVED but the issue itself isn't)