Thread: zmmailbox offline backup

Hybrid View

Default zmmailbox offline backup

Offline backup probably isn't the best description. I built a new zcs server, created the accounts, and changed the mx record so that all new mail would go to the new server. Then from the old server, I'm trying to run
    Code:
    zmmailbox -z -m [account] getRestURL "//?fmt=tgz" > backup.tgz
    Of course that request is going to the new server. Without updating dns again, is there a means to grab the backups from the old server via CLI? I guess I could do it via webmail from each account, but checking to see if there's a better way. Also, if I do it via webmail, can those backups be imported via zmmailbox or do I need to login to webmail on the new server and do the backup there?

thanks,
    will

Hello walvord,

configuring your DNS on both servers like explained in Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki should solve your problem and avoid similar problems you might have

BTW, if what you are looking for is not an offline backup but a way to migrate all your data to a new server there are many different options like zmztozmig (included in Zimbra), Zextras mig (third party software) or custom scripts using the zmmailbox command (or REST API). All of these have been extensively documented and discussed in the forum..
    See ya,
    Mike

You can try

zmmailbox -z -m [account] getRestURL "//?fmt=tgz" -u "http://OLD_IP_or_ADDRESS" > backup.tgz

With -u flag, you can specify the URL instead of domain.com.

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    Offline backup probably isn't the best description. I built a new zcs server, created the accounts, and changed the mx record so that all new mail would go to the new server. Then from the old server, I'm trying to run
    Code:
    zmmailbox -z -m [account] getRestURL "//?fmt=tgz" > backup.tgz
    Of course that request is going to the new server. Without updating dns again, is there a means to grab the backups from the old server via CLI? I guess I could do it via webmail from each account, but checking to see if there's a better way. Also, if I do it via webmail, can those backups be imported via zmmailbox or do I need to login to webmail on the new server and do the backup there?

thanks,
    will