Thread: zimbra question, on proper install

Default zimbra question, on proper install

all - I am in the process of moving a customer from sbs exchange to zimbra and other open source technologies, I need help figuring out zimbra

my apologies if these questions are n00bish

1. can the local host /etc/hosts, name , be different than the domain being served

example my server name is , somecomputername.shortversionofdomain.com

the actual domain is , mypublicdomain.com

2. does the zimbra server have to have a public address? Or can I do port address translation? i forward pop3 and smtp to the internal zimbra server.

I have my zimbra server behind a cisco asa, I checked the open ports via a remote computer withe nmap, they show port 25 open and i telnet into the esmtp server

Currently, i am neither sending nor receiving email.

i check /var/log/zimbra.log and i get this weird error, that sais it needs the unix file command. I installed file via yum and just rebooted the server. I will see if this helps

my config is
    CENTOS 6.2 x64/ ZCS 7.2 64bit

help, i do not want to use the sbs2003

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by th350urc3 View Post
    all - I am in the process of moving a customer from sbs exchange to zimbra and other open source technologies, I need help figuring out zimbra

my apologies if these questions are n00bish

1. can the local host /etc/hosts, name , be different than the domain being served

example my server name is , somecomputername.shortversionofdomain.com

the actual domain is , mypublicdomain.com
    The server domain does not have to be the same as the domain you want to provide email services for. However, you still need valid MX & A records. For instance,

my Zimbra server is mail.example.com and this is the domain I used when I installed Zimbra (e.g. the default domain.) I only use this domain for admin, abuse email and I host a number of other domains which users can access.

Quote Originally Posted by th350urc3 View Post
    2. does the zimbra server have to have a public address? Or can I do port address translation? i forward pop3 and smtp to the internal zimbra server.

I have my zimbra server behind a cisco asa, I checked the open ports via a remote computer withe nmap, they show port 25 open and i telnet into the esmtp server

Currently, i am neither sending nor receiving email.

i check /var/log/zimbra.log and i get this weird error, that sais it needs the unix file command. I installed file via yum and just rebooted the server. I will see if this helps

my config is
    CENTOS 6.2 x64/ ZCS 7.2 64bit

help, i do not want to use the sbs2003

thanks
    As you have your Zimbra server behind an ASA if you open the necessary ports and enable NAT, your Zimbra server does not need a public IP. You do need split-dns if you use NAT. This is most likely the reason why you cannot send and receive email!

The easiest way to setup dns is to use webmin this link is for Ubuntu but it will work for centos
    You need to follow these steps
    After rebooting the server login to webming by https://192.168.1.50:10000 and login with ubuntu username and password. Do the following to set the DNS records.

Click Refresh Modules

#Setup forwarding
    Servers > BIND DNS SERVER > Forwarding and Transfers > Servers to forward queries to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

#Create master zone for geekdomain.com
    Servers > BIND DNS SERVER > Create master zone > Zone type = Forward, Domain name / Network = geekdomain.com, Email address = admin@geekdomain.com

#Create reverse zone for geekdomain.com
    Servers > BIND DNS SERVER > Create master zone > Zone type = Reverse, Domain name / Network = 192.168.1.100, Email address = admin@geekdomain.com

#Create A records for geekdomain.com
    Servers > BIND DNS SERVER > irfad.me > Address > Name = mail, Address = 192.168.1.100
    Servers > BIND DNS SERVER > irfad.me > Address > Name = geekdomain.com, Address = 192.168.1.100

#Add MX records for irfad.me
    Servers > BIND DNS SERVER > irfad.me > Mail Server > Name = geekdomain.com, Mail Server = mail.geekdomain.com, Priority = 10

#Restart Bind
    Stop BIND > Start BIND

Now the DNS server is set. To check DNS server works try these commands. Make the changes similar to this in the domain in public pointing to the ip address of the router’s internet facing interface (public IP)

nslookup geekdomain.com
    nslookup mail.geekdomain.com
    dig geekdomain.com mx
    And you should be good