Thread: Data not save across different mailstore

Default Data not save across different mailstore

Hi All,

My office mail servers setup are as follows:
    1. 2 frontend server (mail01 and mail02) as MTAs and Admin console.
    2. 3 backend server (mail05, mail06 and mail07) as mail stores.
    All server are running "Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition."

I have the following setup:
    1. User#1 is configured to have an account on mail07.
    2. User#2 is configured to have an account on mail05.
    3. User#3 is configured to have an account on mail05.

I have a requirement to share User#3 (mail05) account to User#1 (mail07) and therefore I did the sharing using the following command:
    1. Login to one of the frontend server (mail01) as zimbra user and share the mailbox of User#3 to User#1
    zmmailbox
    adminAuthenticate -u https://mailz.abc.com:7071 admin@abc.com password
    selectMailbox user3@abc.com
    mfg / account user1@abc.com rwidx
    selectMailbox user1@abc.com
    cm /user3_mb user3@abc.com /
    2. Login to webmail and check that the mount point is created in User#1's account.
    3. Login to Zimbra Admin console, edit the User#1 account, under preferences -> Sending mail
    - Enable "Save to sent"
    - Allow sending mail only from these addresses: user3@abc.com
    - Save the setting.
    4. Login to User#1 webmail and click on preferences -> Mail -> Accounts, setup the persona for User#3 on this account.
    5. In the same account User#1, click on preferences -> Mail -> Filters, setup a filter to file a copy of outgoing email from user3@abc.com to mounted point /user3_mb/Sent.
    6. Open Thunderbird and add a second identities to User#1's account.
    7. Configure Thunderbird to place a copy of email sent from the persona to /user3_mb/Sent folder.
    8. Use thunderbird to send an email to user1@abc.com from user3@abc.com.
    9. User#1's Inbox received the email but when I check in the mounted point /user3_mb/Sent folder, there was nothing saved there.

I did a same setup to share User#3 (mail05) account to User#2 (mail05) and did the same email sending test, this time User#2's Inbox received the email and when I check in the mounted point in /user3_mb/Sent folder, a copy of the sent email is found there too.

I checked on the affected servers (mail01, mail05, mail07) and there was no error message to indicate any issue.

Does anyone have an issue when mailboxes in different mailstores, cannot save information across mail stores? Is there a fix for this issue?

Thanks & Regards.

After much digging in the logs I found this error message on mail07 when I tried to use thunderbird with user#1 account configured with user#3 persona to send email to anyone and save a copy of the sent email to user#3's sent folder.

2012-06-20 18:56:28,674 ERROR [ImapServer-96] [ip=10.25.100.12;] ProtocolHandler - Exception occurred while handling connection
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.AppendMessage.store(AppendMessa ge.java:179)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.AppendMessage.storeContent(Appe ndMessage.java:142)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.doAPPEND(ImapHandle r.java:2183)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.executeRequest(Imap Handler.java:331)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.TcpImapHandler.processCommand(T cpImapHandler.java:111)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processCon nection(ProtocolHandler.java:199)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(Protoc olHandler.java:140)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run Task(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run (ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

From this finding, when sending email from mail07 which requires the server to save a copy of the email to mail05 to user#3 sent folder, it is unable to do that. Then I found this bug Bug 62710 – RFE: ZCS should be able to intercept outgoing mail and place it in the Sent folder when mail is sent over SMTP.

Is there a way for me to work around this issue?

Thanks & Regards.

In addition to the previous test case I have done, while working to find out how to resolve the issue, I found out a weird behaviour.

As before, I have:
    1. User#1 (user1@abc.com) is configured to have an account on mail07.
    2. User#2 (user2@grp.abc.com) is configured to have an account on mail05.
    3. User#3 (user3@abc.com) is configured to have an account on mail05.
    1. Setup User#1 (Mail07) with persona(identity) of User#3 (Mail05) on Thunderbird with User#3's mailbox shared to User#1.
    2. Remove User#3's persona (identity) from User#2 but I still shared the mailbox of User#3 to User#2 (Mail05) in Zimbra.

Test Scenario 1
    In Thunderbird, on the User#1 account, I went to manage identities to manage User#3's persona. I set the User#3's account to save a copy of email sent to User#1/User#3/Sent folder.
    I then sent an email to my gmail account, the email was sent successfully but when I checked in the User#1/User#3/Sent folder, no copy of the email was saved here.
    On the mail07, I got this error message:
    2012-06-21 14:59:21,751 ERROR [ImapServer-1413] [ip=10.25.100.11;] ProtocolHandler - Exception occurred while handling connection
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.AppendMessage.store(AppendMessa ge.java:179)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.AppendMessage.storeContent(Appe ndMessage.java:142)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.doAPPEND(ImapHandle r.java:2183)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.executeRequest(Imap Handler.java:331)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.TcpImapHandler.processCommand(T cpImapHandler.java:111)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processCon nection(ProtocolHandler.java:199)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(Protoc olHandler.java:140)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run Task(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run (ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Test Scenario 2
    In Thunderbird, on the User#1 account, I went to manage identities to manage User#3's persona. I set the User#3's account to save a copy of email sent to User#2/User#3/Sent folder.
    I then sent an email to my gmail account, the email was sent successfully and when I checked in the User#1/User#3/Sent folder, a copy of the email was saved here.
    On Mail07, I found this:
    2012-06-21 15:07:57,704 INFO [ImapServer-2101] [name=user1@grp.abc.com;mid=493;ip=10.25.100.12;oip =10.25.3.100;ua=Thunderbird/13.0.1;] mailop - Adding Message: id=337, Message-ID=<4FE2C856.5050403@abc.com>, parentId=-1, folderId=5, folderName=Sent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Is Zimbra Message Store Blob compression enabled?

You can try disabling blob if it is enabled.

Disabling blob compression can be done by
    Code:
    zmvolume --name message1 --id 1 --edit --compress false

Hi FireCat,

I checked on the mailstores using the Admin Console, clicked on the Volumes, the index and store do not have the Compress Blobs enabled.

Regards

It might just help if you are on Zimbra 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinemishakal View Post
    Hi FireCat,

I checked on the mailstores using the Admin Console, clicked on the Volumes, the index and store do not have the Compress Blobs enabled.

Regards