Thread: How to set up Postfix security against external spammers?

Default How to set up Postfix security against external spammers?

I noticed that thousands of spam messages were sent out from my zimbra server to my relay host (ISP) since yesterday. The messages were received by postfix as connected from 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain. However, I confirmed that they come from outside: once I disable port 25 forwarding from my router, there were no more spam messages sending out from the zimbra server. The spamming resume once I re-enable the port 25 port forwarding. Is it possible that some spammers masquerade their IP as 127.0.0.1 to get connected to my zimbra server? How to solve this problem? I have tried various configuration for postfix including rejecting unlisted sender, unlisted recipient, unauthorised sender etc., without success. Any suggestions?

im on same situation you can check all my posts triying to solve these situation tweaking adding coomands , installe mailscanner, etc.. and no luck

but is curious if i close the port 25 on my FW zimbra stop sending any mail! from my users and spammer and all everything...

Sounds like you have a compromised account. What I do in this circumstance is the following:
    grep "sasl_username=" /var/log/mail.log|more
    If you run that on your server, it will search that log file (/var/log/mail.log) for each instance when a user authenticated. If you see a bunch of repeating logins, that's most likely it. Usually you'll see dozens of lines over a short period of time and that'll be it.

Quote Originally Posted by bstock View Post
    Sounds like you have a compromised account. What I do in this circumstance is the following:
    grep "sasl_username=" /var/log/mail.log|more
    If you run that on your server, it will search that log file (/var/log/mail.log) for each instance when a user authenticated. If you see a bunch of repeating logins, that's most likely it. Usually you'll see dozens of lines over a short period of time and that'll be it.
    My case probably is different. I cannot see any repeating logins on mail.log

Inspecting my router log, I can see IP addresses of incoming connection attempts to port 25. However, the corresponding mail.log entry showed connection from 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain. That makes postfix think that the connection comes from the loopback interface and allow relaying of messages to the relaying SMTP server (of my ISP). After closing port 25 overnight, it seems that the spamming has stopped. I am yet to find an effective way to block that kind of attack.

I have seen similar attacks before. Not sure why it's showing up as localhost, though I have seen that before on my server.

Unless someone can specify why the addresses are showing up as localhost source, the best option would be to block as many of those IP's as possible on your router. Hopefully someone will chime in and let you know why it's not showing the correct address as the source.

The Postfix docs might be a useful reference in this case:

Postfix SMTP relay and access control

Basically, if a rule allowing mail from localhost to be forwarded is placed before the access check rules, someone can just HELO as localhost and send anything they want.

I doubt that Zimbra would create such a screwy rule automatically, but it's certainly possible for it to happen inadvertently.