Thread: Need SMTPS to save to Sent folder

Default Need SMTPS to save to Sent folder

We have some users who run a program that "works great with Gmail" but doesn't seem to do what they want with Zimbra. All it does is compose an email and uses SMTPS to send it out. When working through Gmail, the outbound message gets saved in the user's "Sent Mail" folder, but when we point it to our Zimbra server the mail flows just fine, but there is no copy left in the "Sent" folder. And these users want a history of what's been sent.

As I understand it, the Sent folder is usually managed by IMAP in a typical mail client and that SMTPS handles the actual message sending. I don't have any client side tools work with because it's all embedded into the app and the only settings we have are SMTPS username, server and password.

The only thing I could think of is to create a postfix rule that works only on a single address to automatically CC a message, but I have no experience doing that sort of thing. Might there be some other way to make this work?

Thanks,

Cedric

How about an outbound filter on the account (Preferences->Filters->Outgoing Message Filters?) I haven't tried it, but I think this works for messages sent via SMTP as well (as long as its authenticating for the account).
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz

Tried that. Doesn't seem to work.

First which programm do you use, you never mentioned it so its a bit hard to reproduce
    second - the sent mail isnt handled by smtps at all as you guessed right its an imap / mailclient only fiunction

many 3rd party mailclients save their sent mails in different folders, often you can overide this folder by an setting in the mailclient

at the end its a mailclient thing not a zimbra thing

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    First which programm do you use, you never mentioned it so its a bit hard to reproduce
    second - the sent mail isnt handled by smtps at all as you guessed right its an imap / mailclient only fiunction

many 3rd party mailclients save their sent mails in different folders, often you can overide this folder by an setting in the mailclient

at the end its a mailclient thing not a zimbra thing
    That's my fundamental problem. The software is a program that manages reservations with a SMTPS module. It is not a mail client, so we don't have any access to any of its behavior except giving it a username, password and server name for SMTPS.

Since it seems to work with GMail, which uses a "Sent Mail" folder, I replicated that on my Zimbra account, but nothing shows.

I haven't run tcpdump on the workstations network traffic, but I don't think that there is any IMAP(S) traffic at all from this program, just SMPTS. Which means that what GMail does has to be done at the SMTP level.

The only tool I have to work with is Zimbra. The people who wrote the reservation program say it works great with GMail. Which is does. So my client thinks we're the dumb ones.

If anyone has any idea how I might be able to capture these messages in Postfix and save a copy, I would greatly appreciate it.

Basically I was thinking about something like

Postfix Configuration Parameters

but I've never injected any of my own Postfix configurations on my Zimbra server.

Quote Originally Posted by cedbobking View Post
    Basically I was thinking about something like

Postfix Configuration Parameters

but I've never injected any of my own Postfix configurations on my Zimbra server.

Well there is a parameter but i highly doubt it will work.
    you could have find it by goole in no time really, no offense but it woul dbe really nice if people using google by themself and not only forums post

parameter is home_mailbox

however - its designed to store it in maildir format BUT since we have only one user (zimbra) i doubt that would work
    but try it maybe it does.. let us know

in case it doesnt - since its not a normal emailprogramm i assume its something sending mails from their CRM or similar
    so isnt it possible to set a bcc?

that would be the eaisest thing to do (and filter later)

a last lifeline is this option
    always_bcc = whatever@example.com

however - this will send ALL emails to that account
    here i would make the following zimbra settings
    1. delete all mails within 2 hours
    2. purge trash all 2 hours
    3. make a filter forward all those sent items to the aprobiate mailbox and filter there to the sentmail
    4. purge all other incommings

of course this is the worst solution ever - all sent get duplicated and have to filtered out
    also might a legal problem - in many countrys its not alowed to make a bcc copy of any email of your clinets without explizit consent

but iam still wondering why outgoing filter dont work

ahm but you set the smtps server to zimbra dont you ?

one more idea to NOT KILL your zimbra server
    if all goes south make a small virtual host with smtp only
    use the always_bcc option there and bypass authentication to zimbra (sorrry you have to look yourself howtodothis but theres pletny docs out there)

then filter the bccs in a zimbra account - way less load then

still not perfect but i cant think of a better one if aboves really dont work