Thread: Server Migration - Zimbra Upgradation from version 6 to version 7

Default Server Migration - Zimbra Upgradation from version 6 to version 7

Hi All,

I have to perform a zimbra upgradaton on three servers of a company in three different cities (HK, SH & BJ). I have some questions regarding this and it would very appreciative & helpful if some one can give me some suggestions on any of these doubts.

1. How to back-up the existing installation (local storage sufficient?)
    File system Size Used Avail. Use % Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1 199G 141G 48G 75% /opt
    /dev/sdc1 90G 25G 25G 71% /media/store1

2. How long time would it takes? (approx.)
    3. Would the HK server/BJ server be effected during or after upgradation of SH server?
    4. Can I do one by one (SH server first then HK followed by BJ) or I need to do all three simultaneously?

Thanks
    Nitish Saurabh
    Linux System Engineer
    Entinux Pvt. ltd.

1. The wiki has many options for backup scripts, pick one, or simply use rsync manually.
    2. Server upgrade or backuping the data? I spent about 8 hours upgrading from 6 to 7, but I'm running non-supported platform which means extra tinkering. Regular upgrade would probably take about an hour or two.
    3. Depends how the system is set up. You're not giving enough info to determine that.
    4. Assuming the servers are separate, you can do the upgrades one by one. See 3.

Thanks Kruon. I will check out the details and will refer back to you if find any doubts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kruon View Post
    1. The wiki has many options for backup scripts, pick one, or simply use rsync manually.
    2. Server upgrade or backuping the data? I spent about 8 hours upgrading from 6 to 7, but I'm running non-supported platform which means extra tinkering. Regular upgrade would probably take about an hour or two.
    3. Depends how the system is set up. You're not giving enough info to determine that.
    4. Assuming the servers are separate, you can do the upgrades one by one. See 3.

Hi Kuron,

can you give me rough idea about how much time does it take to do the back up and restoring ?

Backup time would depend on your backup target. Since you have ~160Gb of data to backup:
    * Server-to-server over 100mbit LAN link would take ~4-5 hours, with gigabit link maybe ~1h
    * Server-to-USB2 harddrive, about 2 hours
    * In-server disk-to-disk if you have space, depending on the system, maybe 30 minutes

Thanks a lot Kruon!!