Thread: Configuring Zimbra as a secondary server on single domain

Default Configuring Zimbra as a secondary server on single domain

Hello people.

I installed two mail servers using a single domain. The primary server is postfix and the secondary is zimbra. I want to forward to primary server all emails that don't exists on secondary. However the secondary server have to hold messages that the recipient exists on himself. How can I set this on zimbra secondary server?

Thank's.

Rodrigo

Can you explain in a little more detail your setup and what you are trying to accomplish? Is this a migration or is this a permanent setup? If permanent then why the two servers?

My initial thought would be to setup the Zimbra server to use the primary server as the sending MTA, but this assumes you can forward from the Postfix server to Zimbra for the appropriate users.

I have a postfix server that I plan to migrate mailboxes him to new zimbra server and after of migration I intend keep both servers, zimbra as a secondary (host mail accounts) and the postfix just as a primary MTA. Both servers belong to a single domain.

At the first moment, part of inboxes will keep on the secondary and the other part will keep on the primary. At the second moment all inboxes and users accounts will be migrated to the secondary server. The primary server will be just a security device for my secondary to be kept invisible to internet.

So, I need to configure forwarding between the primary and secondary server.

Imagine that bob@example.com lives on secondary server and mary@example.com lives on primary. Bob send a e-mail to mary. The secondary server check if the recipient exists on himself. After this check the secondary will realize that don't exist this e-mail account on himself. So he will forward this message to primary server. The primary server check if the recipient lives on himself and deliver the message to correct inbox.
    Now, imagine carol@example.com lives on secondary (the same server that Bob). Bob send a e-mail to carol. The server realize that this account exists on himself and deliver directly to carol's inbox.

How can I configure this forwarding on zimbra server?
    Last edited by rcanto; 07-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.

What you're describing is a 'split domain'. Take a look at this wiki article. I think it's exactly what you want.

Hi. Shanxt. Itīs exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!