Freshclam not running
Since I upgraded to 7.12, I have had periodic moments where the CPU utilization shot way up on the server. Typically, this is when the server caught a virus.
This went on for a few weeks until I discovered that my ClamAV DBs were corrupt, so I deleted them and started from scratch. This seems to have fixed the problem for the past month. I have not had any problems at all.
Today, I got a Cacti report indicating that CPU utilization was over 15% for a 5 minute period, so I started digging. Eventually, it went down by itself without any interaction from myself.
I started looking at ClamAV, Amavisd, and Freshclam.
I found that there was no Freshclam log, and the last time that the ClamAV had reloaded the Database was July 4th (13 days ago).
I dug around and found that everything looked correct in the freshclam.conf, it just wasn't running.
I verified that it wasn't running, so I restarted it with
ps aux | grep freshclam
it started without any errors, updated from my local mirror and notified Clamd of the update.
/opt/zimbra/clamav/bin/freshclam --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/freshclam.conf -d --checks=12
Now both logs are there, and they look fine, but I'm just wondering what happened.
Release 7.2.4_GA_2900.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition.