Thread: Automatic Address Book Copying

Default Automatic Address Book Copying

We used a shared address book for company wide contacts. However, this doesn't show up through the Exchange protocol on mobile phones. As a workaround, I'm trying to find a way to automatically create local copies in each users account on a regular basis with a bash script. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Download the address book with curl or wget
    - Get a list of all users in our staff group
    - Upload a copy to each users account with curl.

I'm stuck at the first step . . . I cannot get wget or curl to download the address book, I keep getting an authentication error. Here's what I'm trying to use:

wget https://person:password@zimbra.ourdo...erson/Contacts

What am I doing wrong? Is there another (better) way to do this?

Thanks

Maybe you can use CardDAV?

Thanks for the suggestion. Whatever solution I use, I need to be able to do it automatically from the server side. Do you know of a CLI tool for exporting a carddav calendar? I'm not coming up with much through googling.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Whatever is on our users account, it's available through imap, CalDAV, CardDAV on a iPhone. All users do have to accept the shares once with the Web GUi. That's how we do it anyway.

Using the Exchange protocol, Zimbra's shared folders don't show up. We need to use Exchange, since we need to enforce a PIN policy for our accounts on Android and iOS.

Can anyone help me figure out how to download an address book with curl or wget? Thanks

My authentication problem turned out to be related to the fact that we use Active Directory auth for our Zimbra server. Setting a password for a local resource will not work, so I had a create a new user through AD to use. It's now working, in case anyone else needs to do the same thing, here's my bash script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    tmpdir="./tmp"
    tmpfile="export.csv"
    #Verbose mode: 0 for off, 1 for debugging output, and 2 for debugging without modifying user accounts
    verb=0

#Check for right number of arguments:
    if [ $# -ne 4 ]; then
            echo "copy_contact.sh <sourceaddress@myserver.com> <sourceaddress password> <list_name> <distribution_list@myserver.com>"
            echo ":: <sourceaddress@myserver.com> is where the address book is being copied from. This comes from the default /Contacts folder"
            echo ":: The Zimbra password for <sourceaddress@myserver.com> account"
            echo ":: list_name is the name of the folder the address book will be copied to (e.g. \"Staff Address Book\")"
            echo ":: distribution_list@myserver.com is the list of people that will receive the address book (e.g. staff@myserver.com)"
            echo ""

else
            source_address="$1"
            source_name=$(echo $source_address|sed 's/@.*//')
            source_pw="$2"
            list_name="$3"
            dist_list="$4"
            if [ $verb -ge 2 ]; then echo "WARNING: Running in debug mode (verb=2), no changes will be made to accounts"; fi

if [ ! -d "$tmpdir" ]; then
                    mkdir "$tmpdir"
                    if [ $verb -ge 1 ]; then echo "Temp dir $tmpdir created"; fi
            fi
            #Download latest address book to tmp directory:
            if [ $verb -ge 1 ]; then
                    curl -o "$tmpdir/$tmpfile" -u "$source_address:$source_pw" "http://zimbra.myserver.com/zimbra/home/$source_name/Contacts"
            else
                  #Run curl in silent mode with -s flag:  
                  curl -s -o "$tmpdir/$tmpfile" -u "$source_address:$source_pw" "http://zimbra.myserver.com/zimbra/home/$source_name/Contacts"
            fi

#From distribution list, get list of users:
            USERS=`zmsoap --type admin --zadmin GetDistributionListRequest/dl="$dist_list" @by="name"|grep '<dlm>'|sed 's/<[^>]*>//g'`
            #Upload csv to all users in list:
            for USER in $USERS; do
                    if [ $verb -lt 2 ]; then
                            #Create address book folder (in case it doesn't already exist):
                            zmmailbox -z -m "$USER"  cf -V contact -c green "/$list_name"
                            #Empty folder:
                            zmmailbox -z -m "$USER" ef "/$list_name"
                            #Upload csv file to folder:
                            zmmailbox -z -m "$USER" pru "/$list_name" "$tmpdir/$tmpfile"
                    fi
                    if [ $verb -ge 1 ]; then
                            echo "--------"
                            echo "Address book $list_name created/replaced for $USER"
                    fi
            done
    fi