Thread: Migrate from OSS version 7 to Version 8 Appliance

Hybrid View

Default Migrate from OSS version 7 to Version 8 Appliance

Hi, I'm running a home Mail server, OSS version 7 on an unregistered SLES 11 server, at present I'm playing around with the version 8 appliance beta. I really like the idea of running my home server as an appliance and would like to test the beta with my current data in preparation for the Final release.
    Could I do this in a round about way .......... by upgrading my current instance to Version 8, then just copying the data ( /opt/zimbra ) to the appliance?
    Or is there a relatively simple migration process?
    Thanks for any tips.

There's a couple challenges with this. The zimbra appliance is a network edition release and second the appliance is running a different operating system then your version 7 deployment.

I'd recommend doing an in-place upgrade to version 8 network edition, you can reuse the license you get for the appliance to do this temporary step. Take a full backup once the upgrade is complete and then copy the backup over to the appliance and restore it.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

So, a backup made on one server can be copied to a ZCS Appliance of the same version and be restored? That goes against everything I've seen in the Wiki's. It also didn't work when I tried it.

I have a Zimbra 8 NE running in Ubutu 10.04LTS, Full Backup, moved to Zimbra 8 Appliance and it was not able to do anything with the backup files except recognize they were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley77 View Post
    So, a backup made on one server can be copied to a ZCS Appliance of the same version and be restored? That goes against everything I've seen in the Wiki's. It also didn't work when I tried it.

I have a Zimbra 8 NE running in Ubutu 10.04LTS, Full Backup, moved to Zimbra 8 Appliance and it was not able to do anything with the backup files except recognize they were there.
    Did you successfully complete this migration? I'm currently running Ubuntu 12 with Zimbra Open Source 8. I purchased a license for Zimbra NE 8 and would prefer to run the appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
    Did you successfully complete this migration? I'm currently running Ubuntu 12 with Zimbra Open Source 8. I purchased a license for Zimbra NE 8 and would prefer to run the appliance.
    Just curious, why would you want to run the appliance over a VM?
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

The Zimbra Appliance is a VM. Maybe I don't understand your question. If you're asking why I would prefer the Zimbra Appliance it's as simple as I am not a Linux guy so any OS issues are a struggle for me. I can get by but would much prefer the "all in one" idea of the Zimbra Appliance for VMWare.

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    Just curious, why would you want to run the appliance over a VM?
    Can you explain what you mean please? As a Zimbra employee, I'd like to understand why you'd question someone using the Zimbra Virtual Appliance.