Thread: Migrating zimbra 6.0.8 X86 32 bit to 8.0 X86_ 64 bit

Hybrid View

Question Migrating zimbra 6.0.8 X86 32 bit to 8.0 X86_ 64 bit

Hi All,

Present i have Zimbra Release 6.0.8_GA_2661.RHEL5_ on CentOS5 FOSS edition on 32 bit X86 server. now i want upgrade or migrate the server to Zmibra 8.0 X86 _64 bit Hardware. so please help is it possible to do it? directly shall i migrate server from 6.0.8 to Zimbra 8.0... Suggestions please and help me in migration part.

Thanks for your kindness.

Regards,
    Raghav.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

This post is in the wrong forums, it is not a Migration to Zimbra, I'll move it to the correct forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Raghavk View Post
    Present i have Zimbra Release 6.0.8_GA_2661.RHEL5_ on CentOS5 FOSS edition on 32 bit X86 server. now i want upgrade or migrate the server to Zmibra 8.0 X86 _64 bit Hardware. so please help is it possible to do it? directly shall i migrate server from 6.0.8 to Zimbra 8.0... Suggestions please and help me in migration part.
    Did you search the forums before you posted? If you had you would have found out that there is an artcile in the wiki that's Certified by Zimbra for moving ZCS from a 32bit to 64bit server, search and read that article.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This post is in the wrong forums, it is not a Migration to Zimbra, I'll move it to the correct forum.

Did you search the forums before you posted? If you had you would have found out that there is an artcile in the wiki that's Certified by Zimbra for moving ZCS from a 32bit to 64bit server, search and read that article.
    Sounds bit idler...but the migration is slightly more complicated than just read that "32bit - 64bit" documentation.
    I need to move from ZNE 6 to 7, I should done months ago but I even bother about it because all the work it implies.

Quote Originally Posted by esantos View Post
    Sounds bit idler...but the migration is slightly more complicated than just read that "32bit - 64bit" documentation.
    No it's not but I don't really understand the point you're making here.

I need to move from ZNE 6 to 7, I should done months ago but I even bother about it because all the work it implies.
    You need to read the wiki article and use that for planning the move.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No it's not but I don't really understand the point you're making here.

You need to read the wiki article and use that for planning the move.
    Mi point is not confuse people saying the "32-64 bits" for ZCS6 documentation is all about the migration from 6 to ZCS 8, because that is inexact.

The implications to move to 8 require some more considerations (hardware, configurations, requirements). In my personal opinion is an unclosed
    thread that requires more attention.

I've found different information sources that have to be integrated in a single "all inclusive guide" in order to get a better perspective of migration.
    Again, my personal opinion.

Mi point is not confuse people saying the "32-64 bits" for ZCS6 documentation is all about the migration from 6 to ZCS 8, because that is inexact.
    I didn't say that was the case, details on how to move from 32bit to 64bit are in that article.

The implications to move to 8 require some more considerations (hardware, configurations, requirements). In my personal opinion is an unclosed
    thread that requires more attention.
    That is up to the administrator that's moving ZCS from one architecture to another and he's given no indication that anything other than the architecture and ZCS version will change.

I've found different information sources that have to be integrated in a single "all inclusive guide" in order to get a better perspective of migration.
    Again, my personal opinion.
    Then why not create a single point of reference for that? As far as I'm concerned the wiki article gives enough information to move a ZCS install, once the move is made the ZCS version can be upgraded. Any hardware requirements should be planned before such a move but without information on that then, as I mentioned above, it's up to the admin to take that decision.
    Last edited by phoenix; 11-16-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Regards

Bill