Thread: Domain Pickle

Default Domain Pickle

Hi, I will be implementing Zimbra v4.0.4 Network Edition under Red Hat EL 4 64-bit.

Our current domain situation:
    Our web server is at www.osubookstore.com and our email server is at osubookstore.com. If a customer points their web browser to osubookstore.com, it forwards over to www.osubookstore.com. Our email addresses are account@osubookstore.com

After I implement Zimbra, if a customer goes to osubookstore.com, they'll get the Zimbra email login page.

Ideally, I'd like the osubookstore.com Zimbra email to use port 443 and have port 80 forward to the web server at www.osubookstore.com but I don't know if this is practical. (Currently port 443 doesn't work as claimed by the Zimbra Wiki at http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Ports)

Any alternatives or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by ThorGoLucky; 12-12-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Perhaps I could edit the Zimbra login page to show something like, "Looking for OSU Bookstore? Click http://www.osubookstore.com/"

Would that be an advisable solution? If so, which file do I edit? I know I'd have to edit the page after every update, but oh well.

Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should have DNS A & MX records that point to the FQDN of your zimbra server (something like mail.domainname.com) not your web server. If they're on the same box one of them should be on a different port or you can search the forums for details of how to forward to zimbra in Apache.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Yes, that will do the trick. Thanks!

I have the same problem. I have www.ramonafire.com and ramonafire.com A record pointing to a webserver at XXX.XXX.XXX.111. The ramonafire.com MX record points to XXX.XXX.XXX.222. I installed Zimbra with ramonafire.com as is hostname. To get to the Webpage for Zimbra users point to mail.ramonafire.com.

Should I have used mail.ramonafire.com for Zimbra's hostname? Now I know I can have mail.ramonafire.com's MX record point to the Zimbra box but, I would like to use ramonafire.com for the users address. Would Zimbra using mail.ramonafire.com except ramonafire.com mail for the users?

Thanks, David

I just saw the Virtual hosts under the Admin domain... I will give that I try.

Thanks, David

I decided to have my users log into Zimbra at mail.mu.oregonstate.edu and leave the www.osubookstore.com and osubookstore.com domains for the customers.

osubookstore.com IN A 128.193.79.3
    IN MX 100 mail.mu.oregonstate.edu
    www.osubookstore.com IN A 128.193.79.3