Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to upgrade from ZCS OSE 7.x to 8?

Default How to upgrade from ZCS OSE 7.x to 8?

Hi there.

I'm running Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.RHEL5_64_20120410001942 CentOS5_64 on Centos 5.8.
    I want to upgrade to ZCS OSE 8, but i don't know the best and reliable way.
    Can anybody help me?
    Thank you.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ochm View Post
    I'm running Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.RHEL5_64_20120410001942 CentOS5_64 on Centos 5.8.
    I want to upgrade to ZCS OSE 8, but i don't know the best and reliable way.
    It's the same answer as your other (duplicate) post, details on how to upgrade are in the product Release Notes for each version of ZCS. read the release notes in detail then do a backup of your server (details on backup/restore are in the forums and wiki) and run the update.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Are you sure?
    If i'm running Centos 5.8, how can i do upgrade to ZSC OSE 8, when only CentoS 6 is supported.
    In release notes i didn't find any help.

If i'm running Centos 5.8, how can i do upgrade to ZSC OSE 8, when only CentoS 6 is supported.
    You'll have to move your ZCS install to a new server with a supported operating system.

In release notes i didn't find any help.
    Then you should follow one of the many articles in the forums or wiki on moving your install to a new server.
    Regards

Bill

Yes, Bill.
    But i didn't find any answers to my questions in forum, and i start new thread.
    You wrote 2 answers, but without any how-to, no answer to my questions...

Yes, Bill.
    There are plenty of answer to your question in the forums and wiki, believe me, these questions have been asked and answered many times.

Is there something wrong with the search function? site:zimbra.com +move +"new server" - Yahoo! Search Results Go to the first page of the wiki and look at the list of backup/restore articles that's available there.
    Regards

Bill

Yes, Bill.
    I haven't seen an official article on migrating from CentOS 5 to 6, but the article on going from any platform 32 bit to 64 bit is what I used to go from CentOS4-32 to CentOS6-64:
    Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

Just do the following:
    - Install CentOS 6 on your new machine
    - Download the SAME version of ZCS you're running now compiled for CentOS 6 and follow the guide as closely as possible.
    - After you're up and running on CentOS6 with ZCS7.x, run the 8.0 upgrade as normal via the included installer.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dgeist View Post
    Just do the following:
    - Install CentOS 6 on your new machine
    - Download the SAME version of ZCS you're running now compiled for CentOS 6 and follow the guide as closely as possible.
    - After you're up and running on CentOS6 with ZCS7.x, run the 8.0 upgrade as normal via the included installer.
    Dan
    It sounds like solution. I'll try and give a report...
    Sincerely
    Martin

Most everything on the wiki is horribly out of date. For what you're trying to do, this is the current best page, according to both what I've seen, and Zimbra support:

Ajcody-Notes-OS-Upgrade-And-ZCS-Options - Zimbra :: Wiki

I'd suggest the "Active ZCS partition/mount is able to be relocated to new server" section in the above link.

I have been trying serveral ways to do that and I found the following works for me.
    It is basically a modified verision of the "Active ZCS partition/mount is able to be relocated to new server" section of

Ajcody-Notes-OS-Upgrade-And-ZCS-Options - Zimbra :: Wiki

This is what I did:

My old machine is standalone zimbra server running Centos 5.8 (x64) with zimbra 7.1.1 (hosted in a Xenserver VM)
    My target new machines is running Centos 6.3 (x64) (hosted in a ESXi VM)

On the old machine that is current running Centos 5
    1) Upgrade to the lastest Version 7 of Zimbra. The version I used was 7.2.1. (make sure you download the correct version with rhel5)

On the new machine
    1) Setup a new node running Centos 6 (I use a ESXi VM machine). The new machine will need a different IP from the old server at this moment.
    2) Install the latest version 7 of zimbra. The version I used was 7.2.1. (make sure you download the rhel6 version this time )
    3) Confirm ZIMBRA User And UID Match between the two servers.
    4) Confirm Zimbra can boot up on the new Centos 6 machines. If everything goes fine, you can stop zimbra now.
    5) Rename the "/opt/zimbra" directory to "/opt/zimbra.bak". We will need some of the files in this directory later.
    6) rsync the old zimbra directory to the new machine (You can keep the old sever running as this will take a while)
    rsync -aHz --delete --force old_server_addr:/opt/zimbra/ /opt/zimbra/

7) After the first rsync is done, we should do rsync once more but this time, we have the STOP the zimbra of the old machine first to make sure every last bit is synced.
    8) After the 2nd rsync finished, if you start the zimbra on the new machine now, it will complaint some perl script error. What I did was to copy the /zimbramon directoy in the /opt/zimbra.bak to the current /zimbra directory.
    rsync -aHz --delete --force /opt/zimbra.bak/zimbramon/ /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/

9) Again, you cannot start zimbra just yet or it may complaint some error with missing libexpat.so.0 share file. But I suppose that may or may not happen depending on the libraries you have intalled for your Centos 6. Anyway, it happened to me so I use yum to install to following:
    yum install compat-expat1

10) now, su - zimbra to do zmcontrol start and the zimbra should start up. (I found the first time zimbra startup, the status in admin console may show everything's failling even the server is running perfectly. However, it will show normal if you restart the zimbra once more.)

11) If everything goes fine, you can change the IP, DNS, etc of the new server to replace the old server now. You can also delete the /zimbra.bak directory now.

12) You can go on to upgrade to zimbra 8 using the normal way now. (see wiki for details.)

I hope this help.