Thread: Migrating to Zimbra Appliance?

Hybrid View

Default Migrating to Zimbra Appliance?

Anyone here migrated to Zimbra Appliance? How do you do it? Stop Zimbra and export all accounts, then import into Zimbra Appliance? Is there any faster method?

What is the advantage and disadvantage of migrating to Zimbra Appliance vs Zimbra on Ubuntu running as a VM?

I am planning a migration to the Appliance. One of the main reasons for this is the single process upgrade. Just login to the Appliance Admin page and click upgrade. I also Plan on using the Appliance because of the automated storage expansion. All it takes is a new Virtual Disk and a restart. It takes the little bit of brain work out of managing the ZCS Platform. As for how to migrate. There is a method where-by you upgrade your existing to 8. Then add the VM as a datastore, move all users to the new datastore, then promote the VM as the primary. I have not tested this yet. I am a little leery of doing so but I need it done.

Quote Originally Posted by earlgrei View Post
    I am planning a migration to the Appliance. One of the main reasons for this is the single process upgrade. Just login to the Appliance Admin page and click upgrade. I also Plan on using the Appliance because of the automated storage expansion. All it takes is a new Virtual Disk and a restart. It takes the little bit of brain work out of managing the ZCS Platform. As for how to migrate. There is a method where-by you upgrade your existing to 8. Then add the VM as a datastore, move all users to the new datastore, then promote the VM as the primary. I have not tested this yet. I am a little leery of doing so but I need it done.
    You mean if I want to migrate to the Appliance, I will still need to upgrade my Zimbra 7 to 8 first? Since I'm running Ubuntu 8, this will also mean that I need to upgrade my Ubuntu to 10 or 12 first! This is something I'm trying to avoid and lead me to consider the Appliance in the first place!

btw, I'm wondering since Zimbra required a new OS for every 2 major updates, does the Appliance Admin page simple 1 click upgrade also upgrade the Appliance OS when Zimbra is releasing version 10 etc?

Unfourtunately yes, I would say that due to my experience trying to add the ZCS8 Appliance as a mailstore to a ZCS NE 7.2 Install, that Upgrading your primary install is going to be required. Also my reading on the appliance suggests that Zimbra will be controlling the OS upgrades as well. Most appliances are built with such a consideration. I have managed to add the ZCS 8 Appliance to my primary ZCS NE install after upgrading where I failed to be able to do so previously. I am just going to begin migrating users to the new server today.

Quote Originally Posted by earlgrei View Post
    Unfourtunately yes, I would say that due to my experience trying to add the ZCS8 Appliance as a mailstore to a ZCS NE 7.2 Install, that Upgrading your primary install is going to be required. Also my reading on the appliance suggests that Zimbra will be controlling the OS upgrades as well. Most appliances are built with such a consideration. I have managed to add the ZCS 8 Appliance to my primary ZCS NE install after upgrading where I failed to be able to do so previously. I am just going to begin migrating users to the new server today.
    What was the reason you failed to do so previously? Will be great if you can compile your upgrade procedures and share with us.
    I'm mainly concern with the OS upgrade as I'm more familiar with Windows and Mac rather than Linux.

Same mission here:

Got a Zimbra Network Edition 7.20 on Centos 5. I'm thinking about moving to the Zimbra Appliance when i will do the update to zimbra 8. So basically this would mean:

1) Set up Zimbra Network Edition 7.20 on a Ubuntu
    2) Moving Data to this Server
    3) Inplace Update to Zimbra 8 on this Ubuntu
    4) Migration somehow to Zimbra Appliance

Pretty time consuming....I wonder why it isnt possible to simply set up a Zimbra 8 Appliance and then make a restore of all the Mailboxes from the Zimbra 7.2 Network Edition Backup...