Thread: General Email question regarding DKIM and SPF on Zimbra 8.0

Hybrid View

Default General Email question regarding DKIM and SPF on Zimbra 8.0

Hey Folks,

Since zimbra 8.0 now support DKIM, I am keen to know if we can add multiple TXT record in DNS? That is I am planning to propagate SPF as well as DKIM record generated by zmdkimkeyutil.

What consequences it would cause?

I understand this is not directly related to zimbra but wanted to know forum's thought on a general topic like this.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by blason View Post
    Since zimbra 8.0 now support DKIM, I am keen to know if we can add multiple TXT record in DNS? That is I am planning to propagate SPF as well as DKIM record generated by zmdkimkeyutil.
    As you've mentioned below, this isn't related to Zimbra but you can add any number of TXT records to your DNS server.

What consequences it would cause?
    It would cause no consequences to Zimbra other than the ones you'd find for any mail server having DKIM & SPF records.

I understand this is not directly related to zimbra but wanted to know forum's thought on a general topic like this.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi, think blason have a valid point, regardless Zimbra related or not, using both SPF and DKIM will increase domain sender reputation?

Please advice.

ccelis

Quote Originally Posted by ccelis5215 View Post
    Hi, think blason have a valid point, regardless Zimbra related or not, using both SPF and DKIM will increase domain sender reputation?
    It doesn't 'increase the reputation' specifically but it makes it less likely that the mail from a Zimbra server will get rejected, all of the mail-signing/verification techniques are worthwhile - for example: Email Authentication - Unlock the Inbox
    Regards

Bill

eventually proper SPF record and DKIM would definitely help you to increase the Domain reputation. That eliminate the chances of Domain Highjacking and other threats, is it not?

eventually proper SPF record and DKIM would definitely help you to increase the Domain reputation.
    I think you're missing the point of my previous reply. The word 'reputation' has a specific meaning and using SPF & DKIM doesn't not enhance your 'reputation' it merely affirms that the mail was sent by the specific server and is signed by that server and that it's the 'authorised server' (or IP address) for that domain - your 'reputation' is only a good as your last valid email that was sent.

That eliminate the chances of Domain Highjacking and other threats, is it not?
    What happens if your server gets compromised and a spammer send spam from your server? It will get accepted by it's target server/user until you get the problem fixed or blacklised - I've recently received spam from such a server that had valid DKIM & SPF records. Don't forget that there are instances of spammers using SPF & DKIM records on their own servers.
    Regards

Bill