Thread: upgrade proccess from centos5 to 6 fails

Default upgrade proccess from centos5 to 6 fails [SOLVED]

hello.
    i have a 7.1.3 zimbra on centos5.
    this server start a few years ago as zimbra 5 and was upgraded to 6 and then to 7.
    this server is now not powerfull enough and we are moving to new hardware.

we tried to upgrade from 7.1.3 to 8 and got a lot of ldap issues (from what i can see they are due to the fact that the ldap is HDB on our 7 server and 8 does not support it and does not have the back_hdb.* files.).
    so we tried to upgrade to 7.2.1 first, thinking maybe the ldap will get updated in the proccess, but it failes too.

first on ldap backup, it looks for /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/ldap.80 and we only have ldap.60 file, so the ldap.bak is empty and the install fails.

then we tried the instruction on https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=77623 and using the slapadd command. the install was ok, but the server will not start due to certificate errors, and recreating them as per instruction found on the web did not solve it.
    then we tried to simply renaming ldap.60 to ldap.80.
    ldap fails to run zmldapapplyldif and ldap will not start.

is there something that has changes so much from centos 5 to centos6 that we cannot upgrade? how do we upgrade our ldap to comply with the new install? how do we change it to MDB so we can also upgrade to 8.0?

thank you.
    Last edited by adispi; 10-25-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Upgrading from Zimbra 7.x to to Zimbra 8.x on RHEL5/CentOS5 is not possible. Zimbra 8.x is only supported on RHEL6/CentOS6.

To get to Zimbra 8.x you must first get your 7.x installation running on CentOS6 and then, when everything is working, you can proceed with the Zimbra 7->8 upgrade (just follow the instructions in the Release Notes).

To upgrade the OS from CentOS 5->6 you can search the wiki. There are several methods (ie rsync /opt/zimbra, backup+restore (NE version) or a new Zimbra 8 installation + migrating users in some way). You have to investigate which method is best suited for your needs.

Regards

ok, so my english is bad and broken, and i might not have explained myself well.
    let me try again.

we have zimbra 7.1.3 on centos 5. we eventually want to upgrade to zimbra 8, and since centos 5 is no longer supported, and our hardware is too old, we prepared a new machine with centos 6.
    now we try to move the zimbra to centos 6 and we keep failing.

if we try the upgrade process found on the wiki, and upgrade directly to 8 we fail due to openldap on zimbra 8 does not support HDB at all any more.
    if we try to install using the upgrade process found on the wiki to 7.2.1 we fail because our file is named ldap.60 and the upgrade process is searching for ldap.80.

please note, we cannot start a new server from scratch as our mailstore is over 200GB with many users, and we need to keep this information.

i have searched the wiki all over, and found a lot of bug related to the ldap, and tried every one of them. at best i can reach a stage where the upgrade is completed, and the mailstore will not start due to conflicting certificates.
    i have also tried to regenerate the certificate as found on the wiki, to no avail.

now, i have search the wiki as best i know how to, and found good guides about upgrading on the same OS, or changing from 32bit to 64bit. however, i found none about changing centos 5 to 6.

if you know of this guide, please direct me to it, or if you know what i am doing wrong, please enlighten me, as we need the zimbra server, and we need to upgrade to 8, not only for the hardware, bug for many of the new feature that we have long been waiting for.

thank you.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by adispi View Post
    now, i have search the wiki as best i know how to, and found good guides about upgrading on the same OS, or changing from 32bit to 64bit. however, i found none about changing centos 5 to 6.
    That article tells you exactly how to move from one server to another (and is Certified by Zimbra). The following is in the second paragraph of that article:

IMPORTANT: The ZCS release you install on the 64-bit server must be the same release as installed on the 32-bit server. The server can have a different operating system.
    That means you move your current ZCS to the new server (same ZCS version but 64bit) then upgrade to ZCS 8 - obviously you should take backups during this process.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you, you are correct.
    when changing OS, it is imperative that you do not change the zimbra server version.
    "upgrading" to the same version of zimbra on centos 6 worked and so did the upgrade to 8 afterwards...

thank you for the help.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by adispi View Post
    Thank you, you are correct.
    when changing OS, it is imperative that you do not change the zimbra server version.
    "upgrading" to the same version of zimbra on centos 6 worked and so did the upgrade to 8 afterwards...
    I'm glad that all worked for you.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.