Thread: mailbox randomly stops

Hybrid View

Question mailbox randomly stops

Hey Folks,

Setup a new ZCS OSE 8.0.0 a few weeks ago on a VM with 2GB of RAM. We tried it on 1GB previously but it seemed more hassle than it's worth with that much RAM.

Currently it mostly runs properly. We have setup ZPush successfully.

The problem is the mailbox seems to randomly crash after a few days or so. We don't have many accounts or much traffic going through it just yet, so I don't suspect it's a load issue.

The closest thing I can come to something tangible is the /opt/zimbra/log/zmconfigd.log reporting:

Code:
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmconfigdctl: fork: Cannot allocate memory
    Additionally, earlier today when troubleshooting it I noticed there was a pid issue for mailbox, preventing it from starting. I verified the pid didn't actually exist by trying to kill it, then I moved the pid file aside (instead of deleting), and the service restarted properly. I then deleted the old pid file, but this odd crashing seems to persist.

Unfortunately I do not have monitoring currently going so it's a pain that I have to manually determine this, so it makes it hard to determine when it _actually_ goes down.

Any ideas?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You don't actually give any details of the load on this server (number of users etc.) but it is at the bottom end of the RAM requirements, I'd suggest you increase it and see how it goes. There's also no details of which operating system you're using nor anything about which hypervisor.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Whoops!

1) Load reports 0.07 / 0.20 / 0.28 as of this writing

2) Number of users, about 7 right now

3) Ubuntu Server 12.04

4) I don't know the hypervisor, I rent this VM.

5) 2GB is listed as sufficient RAM, why would this not be accurate? (adding RAM isn't the end of the world, but it adds up to our costs :/ )

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyIron View Post
    2GB is listed as sufficient RAM, why would this not be accurate?
    It is accurate but that's a minimum and the recommended is 4GB and would depend on the number of users and their usage profile.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyIron View Post
    (adding RAM isn't the end of the world, but it adds up to our costs :/ )
    Knowing the hypervisor might be helpful. Do you know if this is real RAM or burst RAM?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I guess I'll have to look into maybe adding 2GB of SWAP, since we have plenty of space. Why exactly is 2GB listed as a minimum when it really isnt?

The RAM is dedicated, so far as I can tell it is not burst, and it is sold to me as dedicated. I suspect they will not tell me the hypervisor, nfoservers.com if anyone knows which one they're using.

I have been monitoring the RAM usage for the last few days and it doesn't _seem_ to be reaching capacity, but I can't conclusively rule this out just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It is accurate but that's a minimum and the recommended is 4GB and would depend on the number of users and their usage profile.

Knowing the hypervisor might be helpful. Do you know if this is real RAM or burst RAM?

If it helps you to know, I have Zimbra 8 (ocs) running on Centros 6.3, on 2GB RAM and 2GB swap, and that seems to be just barely enough... I have an exceptionally low volume installation with half a dozen users and less then 1,000 messages per day.

zimbra.log seems to have a fair bit of this, not sure if it's relevant:

Code:
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmconfigd[13488]: Fetching All configs
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmconfigd[13488]: All configs fetched in 0.04 seconds
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15862]: stale pid 20436 found in /opt/zimbra/log/zmmailboxd_manager.pid: No such process
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15862]: assuming no other instance is running
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15862]: file /opt/zimbra/log/zmmailboxd.pid does not exist
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15862]: assuming no other instance is running
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15862]: no manager process is running
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmconfigd[13488]: Executed: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmstorectl status norewrite returned 1 (30 - 13) (0.03 sec)
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmconfigd[13488]: Tracking service mailbox
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15873]: stale pid 20436 found in /opt/zimbra/log/zmmailboxd_manager.pid: No such process
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15873]: assuming no other instance is running
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15873]: file /opt/zimbra/log/zmmailboxd.pid does not exist
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15873]: assuming no other instance is running
    Nov  9 10:19:34 (DELETED) zmmailboxdmgr[15873]: no manager process is running