Thread: Migration wizard ZCS 5 to ZCS 8

Hybrid View

Default Migration wizard ZCS 5 to ZCS 8

Hi there,

I'm heading a big problem.
    I took over a ZCS 5 Mail System. This was managed by a guy who has left the company.
    I got the order to migrate to the open source ZCS 8.
    The ZCS8 is running right now, but I'm not able to get the data from the old server.
    I was happy to find the migration wizard within the ZCS8 admin console.
    but I don't know what to enter in the "LDAP Search DB" field. I've searched about two and a half weeks now but I was unable to find anything about this migration wizard regarding LDAP....

so please help me!
    I attatched the screenshots of the migration wizzard. (LDAP Server (the old zcs 5) and the respective username are known and will be inserted. Just the LDAP Search DB field is what I need to insert)

migration_assistant_1.jpgmigration_assistant_2.jpgmigration_assistant_3.jpg

ok. So far so good.
    found out what to place into the LDAP Search DB field...

dc=yourdomain,dc=tld

that's it. thanks for no help so far.
    I was able to import the user accounts... But NOT the mailboxes.
    well I thought it might be enough to have an global administrator Account on the source machine to be also an imap admin. but that seems to be not true.
    I wasn't able to find anything about this step within the documentation (well, ok. what documentation? there is none. I meant this forum)
    So, here I am. Only one step away form transfering the postboxes from the old dieing ZCS5 Server to the new ZCS8 one. But everytime the transport fails with not even a minimalistic error messege... that makes me go crazy! really!
    I've tryed several ways to write out the imap admin user name with @domain.tld or without. Short name, full name etc. nothing worked yet.
    It also doesn't matter which kind of encryption i'm choosing.

So I need definitly help.
    Would anybody tell me please the standard IMAP admin username and a way how to get it's set PW, or just a way to reset the pw to a new one. I need this stuff to be done immediately!

Please help!

At this point just one remark, cause at this moment I'm backing up my zcs_v7.2 to migrate to zcs_v8.1.

At the "BindDN" line you will need: "uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra"
    The proper password for this zimbra-ldap-admin-user can be found with the command "zmlocalconfig -s | grep zimbra_ldap_password". This command should be run as user "zimbra" on the old server.

To be continued....

PS. to reset admin password see: Zmprov Examples - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Last edited by jaapaikema; 12-05-2012 at 04:07 AM.

hey,

this I found out too. I came so far that I was able to import all user accounts. except their mailboxes, calendars and contacts.
    I always only get the information, that there was an error (Failcounter increases). But i can't see what kind of. And after that I'm unable to try the mailbox import again, because the system means that the box is still transfering. But there's no traffic on the NIC.
    it seems to be regardless which kind of encryption i choose at the selection for the imap transfer. I'm also wondering what the specificated user is for the imap-admin. Or if I can use any as administrator flagged user for this action?

does anybody know?

I'm facing the same problem now. I provisioned my new server and after that I got stuck in IMAP authentication
    Now I'm trying another approuch: Zimbra to Zimbra Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki

To be continued....

And I have lift-off, my problem is solved following the steps above.
    One thing that I forgot to do was making my custom COS's, so I had to create them afterwards and assign the proper accounts to the propper COS's
    I'll try creating the COS's before provisioning with the next migration (tomorrow)

Hope this solution works for you as well as it did for me

PS one other issue I encountered: shares weren't shared anymore bummer
    Last edited by jaapaikema; 12-05-2012 at 07:53 AM.

wow! very nice tip!
    there's only one problem coming up...
    the source system is packing the designated account into a tgz file. so far so good.
    But then there comes up an error which tells me "Upload too large"
    is there some tweak for the target server (zcs 8.0.1) which I have to set up before this transfer?

[edit]
    I set up the target server account sizes to unlimited size. so there can't be the problem
    [/edit]