Thread: Restricting number of emails from users to specific domains

Default Restricting number of emails from users to specific domains

Hi,

Is it possible to restrict the number of emails that a user can send to a specific domain. For example: Is there a way to enforce that a user can send only 10 emails to gmail/ hotmail in a day?

How can this be enforced?

Giddy Going

Hi,

Can you elaborate what exactly what you want to achieve with this limitation.I dont think there is a way to limit no. of email per domain per user in any of the available mailing solutions(please correct me if i am wrong)although there may be a workaround of your problem if you clearly state what you want to achieve.

Raunaq Malik

Default Restricting number of emails to free email domains

Quote Originally Posted by Raunaq View Post
    Hi,

Can you elaborate what exactly what you want to achieve with this limitation.I dont think there is a way to limit no. of email per domain per user in any of the available mailing solutions(please correct me if i am wrong)although there may be a workaround of your problem if you clearly state what you want to achieve.

Raunaq Malik
    We are trying to limit the number of email messages that our users can send to gmail/ hotmail / yahoo domains. Restricting sending mails to the domain is too restrictive on the users and hence, my management has decided to limit the number of mails a user can send to these domains in a day. Say, we want to implement a policy that a user can utmost send 25 mails per day to domains such as gmail/ hotmail/ yahoo etc.

Quote Originally Posted by giddy_going View Post
    We are trying to limit the number of email messages that our users can send to gmail/ hotmail / yahoo domains. Restricting sending mails to the domain is too restrictive on the users and hence, my management has decided to limit the number of mails a user can send to these domains in a day. Say, we want to implement a policy that a user can utmost send 25 mails per day to domains such as gmail/ hotmail/ yahoo etc.
    The restriction will be working by separated and identified restricted user. as an example, user1 can send an email for various domain while user2 could sending an email for local domain only. We could also add another domain for exception, e.g : allowed sending an email for local domain and some pre-defined domain (sister company, a group of company, etc).

How to applied the restriction ?

1.Open console
    2.Log on as Zimbra root user (su – zimbra)
    3.Edit /opt/zimbra/conf/postfix_recipient_restrictions.cf and add following restriction :
    check_sender_access hash:/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/restricted_senders
    4.Edit “/opt/zimbra/conf/zmmta.cf” and add following line :
    POSTCONF smtpd_restriction_classes local_only
    POSTCONF local_only FILE postfix_check_recipient_access.cf
    5.Create a new file “/opt/zimbra/conf/postfix_check_recipient_access.cf” and add :
    check_recipient_access hash:/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/local_domains, reject
    6.Create a new file “/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/restricted_senders” and add restricted user with the pre-defined format :
    user1@mydomain.com local_only
    7.Create a new file “/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/local_domains” and list all the domains where “restricted users” allowed to sent mails. Please follow this syntax :
    example.com OK
    anotherdomain.com OK
    mydomain.com OK

Run the update configuration command :

postmap /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/restricted_senders
    postmap /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/local_domains
    zmmtactl stop
    zmmtactl start

After applying these setting, all of restricted user will have limited access for sending an email and they will allowed to sending an email for certain domain only as listed on file “/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/local_domains”

Note :

1.These setting will must be re-written after upgrading Zimbra
    2.To restore restricted user access so they could sending for various domain, please : Remove any added configuration on zmmta.cf and make sure that the restriction setting will applied to blank account. Run this command : postconf -e smtpd_restriction_classes=” and zmmtactl reload to restore the setting.
    3.Take backup of the configuration files that are modified.

Default Domain restricted login for email users.

Hi all,

I am running courier + authuserdb hosted domain in RHEL 6.5(x86_64). I have one domain that allows people to signup for free mail accounts using a provided webmail(squirrelmail) that uses imap to check the mail.
    Myquestion is, is it possible to restrict a specific domain so that they can only connect to the server if they connect from the localhost(using the webmail) address?

I am able to login with system account in webmail but not along with hosted domain.
    i dont want to login with system account alone. I need to be login account name with domain.

I need Domain restricted login ?

can any one help me on this...

Thanks,

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul004 View Post
    I am running courier + authuserdb hosted domain in RHEL 6.5(x86_64). I have one domain that allows people to signup for free mail accounts using a provided webmail(squirrelmail) that uses imap to check the mail.
    Myquestion is, is it possible to restrict a specific domain so that they can only connect to the server if they connect from the localhost(using the webmail) address?
    These forums are for support of Zimbra Collaboration Server, what does your question have to do with that product?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.