Thread: Gradual migration

Default Gradual migration

All,
    I see lot of how-to's out there about doing a one time migration from 32 to 64 bit. However, I'm interested in something more gradual. I have a multiserver setup that looks as follows:
    • MTA
      • Antispam
      • Antivirus
      • imapproxy
      • memcached
      • mta
      • snmp
      • stats
      • zmconfigd
    • Mailstore
      • convertd
      • ldap
      • logger
      • mailbox
      • snmp
      • spell
      • stats
      • zmconfigd

Each of these servers is running Ubuntu Server 8.04.4. Obviously it is time to upgrade, but I'd prefer to not do a single night migration, so I'm wondering if anyone has written up directions that would allow me to build myself an Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit server, and then install the same version of Zimbra. I should be able to run mailbox on the new server, and use the web UI to migrate my accounts to the new server.

The next steps (and where I am the haziest on how this would be accomplished) would be to migrate the LDAP from the old mailstore to the new mail store, and then retire the old server.

At this point I would have a 32 bit MTA, and a 64 bit LDAP & Mailbox server. The last step would be to build a new MTA that is 64bit, and retire the old MTA.

Has anyone ever done it this way before? Are there directions out there for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Meaulnes View Post
    Has anyone ever done it this way before? Are there directions out there for it?
    My hint is to have a look to the Zextras Migration tool, it seems just what you're looking for.

My2cents.
    Federico Bertola
    CTO @ StudioStorti

I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for at all. It seems to be oriented towards the Open Source Edition, when I am using the network Edition; and it also seems to be created for a quick forklift upgrades. I don't want to stay up all night migrating data. I'm looking to take a couple of months, and migrate an account here or there. And then finally migrate the last server components. Slow & Steady is what I want.

I thought you wanted to setup a split domain zimbra environment, with this tool you can move one mailbox at a time (with zxbackup) and then you can rename the old one. I think this is the only way to do an "incremental" migration with different OS and Zimbra version.
    Federico Bertola
    CTO @ StudioStorti

Well I know that there is a way to run a multi-server config where different accounts are store on different mailbox servers. From what I understand, the only requirement in a multi server install is that the version of Zimbra be consistent -- the OS can be different. I guess I need to read up on that tool some more, but at first glance it didn't seem like the right fit. I don't really follow what you mean when you say "split domain environment."