Thread: "Add Zimbra as an application for mailto links?" Firefox Popup in 8.0.x

Default "Add Zimbra as an application for mailto links?" Firefox Popup in 8.0.x

Testing against a new 8.0.1 server. I've noticed that Firefox 14.0.1 displays this popup bar near the top of the browser window when I login to the my test server...

"Add Zimbra (SERVERNAME) as an application for mailto links?"

...with an "Add Application" button.

I don't remember seeing anything in the docs about this. I don't get the same notification in Chrome (haven't tested Safari or IE yet). I think I understand what this is, but is it a Firefox only feature....any docs or info about this anywhere?

Thanks,
    Matt

i don't have the answer, but i am looking for the same thing as you. i hope someone can reply and let us know how to do this

Here is the original enhancement request Bug 65423 – Cannot Make Zimbra Web Client the Default "mailto" Client - it shows it was introduced in 8.0

If you search bugzilla for mailto in all CLOSED FIXED RESOLVED VERIFIED you can find some other bug reports about this functionality too.

thanks for the link.. but is there possibly a guide to set this up? i don't know where to start. would i have to do the stuff listed in this link? Mgolfieri- Zimbra WebClient As The Default MailTo Handler - Zimbra :: Wiki

anyone? its been over a month and still have not found out how to set up zimbra webmail as default email program. in fact there is no option listed in my web browser for zimbra that i can find.
    i am using internet explorer 9 (soon to be 10) if that helps.

specifically i'm looking to set up zimbra webmail when i go to file -> send -> page by email or link by email
    (maybe this is something else other than a "mail to" ? )
    Last edited by z000; 03-04-2013 at 08:13 PM.

It is still a mess and ruins the end user experience. For example:

Code:
    When a user sets up their zimbra preferences for create "new mail" as - pop - up - a - new - mail - in - a - new - browser - window, when clicking on a mailto link in another browser tab application, instead of zimbra operating as described, the browser proceeds to open zimbra inside that browser tab, then within zimbra open a zimbra tab with a new mail.   What makes it worse is the page with the mailto link is lost.   And it can actually get worse beyond that.  But I will leave it there.
    Guest Ubuntu 12.04LTS x64 and Zimbra 8.0.5
    Host CentOS 6.4 x64 :: KVM :: LVM :: Hardware RAID