Thread: Attachment Size disparity ?

Default Attachment Size disparity ?

My MTA is separated from the other services on a different machine. I tried to send an 8meg attachment through and it failed. So I went to the admin console and made both message and attachent size 10240 (supposedly this is kb) or 10 meg.

Being distrustful I also found that I can change the values from zmprov.

In a forum post I found this:

for message size: zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize size-in-bytes

So took that literally and set it to 10485760. I also set the attachment size to that limit but I could not find a corresponding value in the main.cf

I checked the main.cf postfix file and saw my changes (good) However I tried to send a mail and it was rejected with the same message.

Do I have to do a restart on tomcat, postfix all when I make that change?

If so is there a chart that exists that can tell you when you need to restart something based on a config change.

thanks

Doug
    Last edited by dlochart; 12-21-2006 at 02:03 PM.

not 100% on this, but zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize may be the max MIME message size. If it is and you send an 8MB zip file, the MIME message will be a hair over 33% larger (the data is base64 encoded). So, the 8MB message will be around 10.6MB.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Default base64 encoding

The attachment may be <10MB, and so it'll get accepted by the ZCS's file upload system. But when it's serialized into a MIME message it ends up base64-encoded, which takes 4/3 as much space as the original attachment. The resulting (larger) MIME message is then handed off to postfix, which does a check against zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize and rejects the message if it's over the 10MB limit.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thanks that was exactly the case. However my disparity still remains (I realize I did not expound upon this). After I raised both limits with zmprov to 20 meg I logged back in as admin and went to the MTA global tab and still saw 10240 kb. How come the data is not reflected properly? Doesn't it refresh from the LDAP server or is there some sort of caching going on?

thanks

Default Yes to the caching

I believe the server-side cache lifetime is 15 minutes. (I don't know if the admin client caches as well -- don't think so, but not sure.)

If you're not using the -l switch to zmprov and you're calling zmprov on the same server as the admin client you're connecting to, you should get the update version, however.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!