Thread: Focus Jumps from Message to Inbox

Default Focus Jumps from Message to Inbox

I started seeing this before I upgraded to 7.2.2, but it is still here. I have no idea when it started exactly.

I see it when using reading pane. I click on a message and see it in the reading pane, then suddenly, and usually quickly, the focus jumps from the message to the Inbox. Leaving the reading pane empty. It will also do it when trying to select multiple message to move or delete. I'll do the CTRL-Click thing on 2 or 3 messages and suddenly nothing is selected.

This does not seem to happen outside of reading pane views.

Anyone have a clue? This is really quite maddening.

Also, don't know if it's related, but sure seems so: I have been noticing sometimes that when I go back to the messages after the "jump" in focus, the message in the reading pane is plain text instead of HTML. A hard refresh of the browser brings it back.

I don't usually like bumping threads, but I really am hoping someone has a clue.

I have only seen this when we were using z-push. If there was a sync happening when reading an email it would go back to the mailbox.

Gave up with z-push and used zextra's in the end

Thanks

Glenn

If you are using z-push you re likely running into an issue with the soap session limit on zimbra. Please see a post I made on the subject on the z-push thread back last November. Basically once zimbra uses up its configured number of sessions it kills the oldest one and starts a new one.

Here is the original post (http://www.zimbra.com/forums/mobilit...tml#post250951)

Another common symptom you might see in this scenario is that if you are looking at an email in the WEB Client, it will close all of a sudden, and you will be back to looking at just a list of messages with a blank reader pane rather than the message in the reader pane.

This relates to the number of allowed SOAP sessions per user. This was highlighted to in a ticket (not by me) and was fixed in release 7.2 - where you can now increase the number.

Bug 75338 – Providing the ability to increase the number of Soap sessions

I set the value to 7 on my server and typically don't see the issue any more.

In my experience it is usually seen where a user (me) has more than one device doing "push" syncing at the same time. The other factor that causes it is using push with wi-fi on iPhones/iPads/etc. as the wi-fi policy on many of them keeps dropping the connection, and the mail client keeps opening new ones, and the server keeps having to kill the oldest session for that user to create a new one for them.

It was indeed the Z-Push issue. I ended up deleting the accounts, clearing the state directory and re-adding the accounts. That seemed to fix it.

I actually noticed the soap entries in the log after my last post and they were all coming from my sync machine. I have since upgrade to Zimbra 8 and Z-Push 2/Backend 55. Everything seems to be working perfectly again.

Thanks for the responses.

Glenn - I too am looking at Zextras, but mostly because I need the backup solution. I have been quite happy with the Z-Push solution for quite some time.

Hi Samgreco

I think z-push is is great but we had some issues and the powers that be said we needed something else.

With regards to the backup. We back up mailboxes which I setup from this link http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...y-version.html we don't use zextras for a backup just push mail.

The only issues I have had is with long email addresses which get shortened in the script and then fails to backup. We bypassed this part and manually put the email addresses to be backed up in the file. If you need any help then pm me and I will see if I can help you. If you manage to get the script to to write long email addresses then please let me know how you managed it.

Glenn