Thread: Zimbra 8.0.2 FOSS - backup 80GB data/ldap/mdb/db/data.mdb

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra 8.0.2 FOSS - backup 80GB data/ldap/mdb/db/data.mdb

All - I was quite excite to install zimbra 8 and so far its great aesthetically and appears easier to manage. Thank you all the developers and contributors.

Now comes my issue, In 7.2 Zimbra, I was using the backup script that does rsync cold backup, then stops zimbra, kills any remaining process and rsyncs again. Then it creates and archive etc... It was great, but now it looks like by design there is an empty 80GB data.mdb in /data/ldap/mdb/db/data.mdb and while doing du - c <dbfile> shows its not even 1M, when Rsync tries to copy the db file it copies 80GBs . So basically the script is kinda useless unless i want to wait an hour or so to make a backup and then time to transfer.

I had another zimbra instance that was at 7.2 and i upgraded to 8.0.2 and it does doesnt appear to have a problem. Only when I do a clean install.

Is this normal? Is there a workaround? Can we make it so that data.mdb displays actual size?

I appreciate any feed back. I would like to know how people are backing up their Zimbra 8.0 boxes.

Thank you,

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by source View Post
    Is this normal? Is there a workaround? Can we make it so that data.mdb displays actual size?
    The answer to those questions is, yes. Did you look at the recent threads on this topic (which also contain a solution to your questions)?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by ccelis5215 View Post

Thank you for you reply. The link was very useful. If you don't mind. I would like to confirm some things.

1. Will using the zimbra backup that rsyncs the live system and then does another rsync while the service are stopped, will that damage my database on a 7.2 installation? It seems everybody uses that script in some way shape or form without issue.
    a. would it be safer to just shut the zimbra services and do a single rsync?

2. I'm currently still testing and have setup an 8.0.2 box and modified the script to use the mdb_copy utility in that version.

So basically the script, does a live rsync except data.mdb

zimbra is stopped

another rsync is performed
    mdb_copy copies over the database without any sparse file issue and its almost instantaneous. (data.mdb is 500k) , so it obviously doesn't mess around with the sparse file and i don't get that issue where it goes through the entire 80G copy

I then make a tarball and send it off to storage.

Does this sound good? Is this what other people are doing or are they just shutting down zimbra and doing a single rsync and waiting the 40 minutes it takes to fake copy that 80GB data.mdb? I guess what i need to do is try to recover from that backup.

Thanks,